Spear fishing gloves, Advice on type? Are Tilos 1.5mm leather too thin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderWaterFlyerGuy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a new diver that will be spearfishing soon.

While checking for dive gloves that would be good for spearfishing, I was advised that some of the thick ones are uncomfortable, have poor dexterity, and wear out anyway.

I was advised to simply get the Tilos 1.5mm with leather palms.
1.5MM REEF GLOVE [G1316] :: Tilos, Inc

Should I consider something else?

I have been using Mechanix brand automotive gloves while diving for the last 2 years. They make a couple different styles: Elastic wrist band, Velcro wrist and so on. They are easy to get on and off, and have held up great in the salt water. I just soak them in a bucket after the dives and let them air dry. You can get them at Walmart, any auto parts store, or your favorite Home Depot.
BTW, they are cheap too.

Stephen

Thanks for the info.
I have been looking for a cheap "spare pair", or a more protective pair.
I like your idea for mechanics gloves, because I agree they should protect well, and I already have a pair or two of those!
I'll be diving near 100ft, and I'm a little concerned about thermal protection.
I got some advice on heavy Akona protective gloves that I may eventually get.
Akona ArmorTex Kevlar Glove @ Divers-Supply.com
I'm hesitant about increasing my dive equipment budget much more though.

I did find out the my current Tilos 1.5mm glove should work for a while, and being that I won't be diving every weekend like some, I searched out some TommySports 5mm gloves as a cheap alternative. $12 and free shipping.
BLACK 5MM DIVE HD GLOVES, SCUBA , SURFING, SNORLKING | eBay
These should be in the mail within a couple of days.
I ordered a dive hood through TommySports also.
Thanks for your advice and info... I think I'm in good shape with gloves for now.

I'm a new diver that will be spearfishing soon.

While checking for dive gloves that would be good for spearfishing, I was advised that some of the thick ones are uncomfortable, have poor dexterity, and wear out anyway.

I was advised to simply get the Tilos 1.5mm with leather palms.
1.5MM REEF GLOVE [G1316] :: Tilos, Inc

Should I consider something else?

+ 1 for the akona kevlar. work great for cleaning fish too. worth the extra $

I second the Mechnix wear gloves. I usually get a couple pair of the less then $20 pairs in keep them in my bag in addition to the ones Im wearing. They make great dive gloves for the money.

5mm is a thick glove. I would cut off the right index finger of the glove (my trigger finger) so you can feel the trigger and not fire accidentally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom