Speaking of Mardi Gras...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimdiverman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Are any Scubaboarders out there going to be hitting the streets in the New Orleans area for Mardi Gras? I was actually thinking about going down there this year.

We go to New Orleans a couple of times a year. We love the music, food, and culture. I have no desire to go during MG though. I hear from locals that it gets so crowded that it can take 30 minutes to walk across the street. We do, however, enjoy the St Patricks Day and the St. Joseph's Day parades. Little more low key, but still a big deal.
If you go make a report when you get back and tell us how it was.
Spencer

We go to New Orleans a couple of times a year. We love the music, food, and culture. I have no desire to go during MG though. I hear from locals that it gets so crowded that it can take 30 minutes to walk across the street. We do, however, enjoy the St Patricks Day and the St. Joseph's Day parades. Little more low key, but still a big deal.
If you go make a report when you get back and tell us how it was.
Spencer
That's good that you don't go to Mardi Gras... it is too crowded. When I was a kid, everyone wore a costume on Mardi Gras day. And it was for families, not drunks.

I tell people that I meet all the time... if you have never been to New Orleans before, don't go to Mardi Gras for the first time. Go to Jazz Fest. The weather is still bearable for most people (though it can still be sweltering and probably 100% RH). But it is a good time and a good value for the money... though they keep raising the price on that too. I remember when you could get in for a few dollars. I actually played in Jazz Fest in 1980. Seems like forever ago... Times have certainly changed.

My first Mardi Gras to miss in 23 years. It is my last semester in college and I need all the brain cells I can retain. But for all who are going enjoy the party I wish I could be there.

Sweet! What do you play- instrument and type of music?
I have a friend that plays a regular gig in nola. Jamil Sharif- trumpeter that plays traditional nola jazz at the Bourbon Maison. He has been in a few movies too- Ray was his most recent. Love to hear him play- he is the only one that comes close to Satch imho.
Spencer

Sweet! What do you play- instrument and type of music?
I have a friend that plays a regular gig in nola. Jamil Sharif- trumpeter that plays traditional nola jazz at the Bourbon Maison. He has been in a few movies too- Ray was his most recent. Love to hear him play- he is the only one that comes close to Satch imho.
Spencer

I play bass, Bb clarinet and some piano. I also do vocals. I have not played in public in years though. There's no money in it! HA! I didn't enjoy Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday 10pm to 2am, breakdown equipment, get home at 3:30am, go to school or work and then do it again... for too little money.

I became an engineer instead, and it has led to a better economic situation such that I can afford to dive in caves.:D

My wife is a project mgr./QA person, currently working at Freeport LNG. All that engineer stuff goes over my head. Wife says she knows a lot of engineers that are musicians though.

My wife is a project mgr./QA person, currently working at Freeport LNG. All that engineer stuff goes over my head. Wife says she knows a lot of engineers that are musicians though.

I travel more than 40 weeks a year for work as a project development consultant. I would be an unreliable band member. As much as I love music, it will have to wait until I don't need to work anymore so I can take it up again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom