Speaking of Fency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
The "Fenzy question" thread got me wondering. What is the history of these? Here are the few pieces I know:

I first started seeing ads for the Nemrod Marlin and Bouée Fenzy in Skin Diver Magazine around 1968. To me, these were super expensive at $125. I met the US distributor for the Fenzy through a mutual acquaintance at a trade show when I was still in high school. I was dumbfounded a few days later when a box arrived with one inside with a brief note saying something to the effect of "I thought you could use one". I still have his card but wish I had the note — probably the most fantastically generous and unexpected gift of my life.

Later I saw the same unit advertised with the Spartan Fenzy name from someplace in New York. The gentleman that gifted one to me worked for André Galerne of International Underwater Contractors in New York so maybe there is a connection. Some years later (early 70s??) a newer design was on the market with a smaller horse collar and a brighter orange color. Do I understand correctly, there is a new one used by the US Navy?

I remember getting nothing but crap about my Fenzy from Navy dive instructors, not that I even thought of using it on duty. However, nobody could explain how it was so terrible compared the black CO2 horse colors we would be written up for if we didn’t wear one.

Anyway, can you guys fill in the holes?

I still own two, one in great shape and one that's going to be a parts donor soon. I worked with Andre Galerne on a bunch of projects over the years. Andre died a couple of years back at his retirement home in Arizona.

Anyway, I remember the "Spartan" and I think one other name. They were back in the days before the Hypolon FENZY, it was a rubberized canvas cloth bag. There was also a later FENZY that I think used the FENZY name but that had an inner bag and a cordura cover ... don't know I never used one.

My prize FENZY, that came to me via Frederic Dumas, was a Hypolon FENZY made for the French Navy ... in black! I truly wish I still had that one to show folks who think that FENZYs are not DIR!

Back
Top Bottom