Spare O-Rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jethroish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Past Spring I bought a pre-packaged save-a-dive kit. I have used 2 o-rings on rental tanks. Now I need more 0-rings.
Question is, do I need to use o-rings from a dive shop or can I use o-rings from a hardware store? Do I need to have something specific for air/nitrox?
Thanks

I'd stay away from the generic "hardware store" variety of o-rings. I'd be willing to bet you'd end up with variable quality, since no one knows how long they've been sitting there.

I go to one of a few companies in town that stock hydraulic/pneumatic fittings, and get Viton o-rings. They ahve other varieties as well, and will make sure you get first quality.

For one, I would have asked the shop to replace the rings that you used on their rental tanks. I would stay away from hardware store o-rings and stick with rings that you know are specifically for scuba tanks.

Even at dive shops they aren't expensive. I bought a save-a-dive O ring assortment for less than $5 & it came in it's own little case. They're commonly replaced, consumables & don't cost that much. You should be able to buy replacement rings for the kit pretty cheap at the LDS.

I have wondered that myself. I just purchased my first o-ring kit from a LDS the other day. Yea it was under 5 bucks. I would seriously doubt there is any difference though between the two. But of course some people will argue the point.

Try asking your LDS for some. My LDS buys them by the bag full from a local Oring supplier and they only cost a couple of pennies. With all the stuff I buy from them, they give me several any time I ask. A quarters worth of Orings buys a lot of customer satisfaction.

Buy them from a dive shop. There are various grades of o-rings rated for different pressures and the sizes can vary. Ask the shop for a handful. They should charge you much for them.

I'm not so sure it's a quality issue as much as it is durometer. If you look at a standard 2-14 o-ring, you can have different durometers of hardness. One too hard may not seal well, one too soft could extrude and blow out.

I'd also vote for the 5 dollar kit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom