Spare No Expense Light System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A Chanster

Registered
Reaction score
Working in China, hanging Cobwebs in Colorado
# of dives
200 - 499
If you could get any primary canister and any 1 LED backup (FORGET THE COST) what would it be and why?

Im looking to get into a new light system and your comments are valued.

Just a few requirements/notes for primary:
1) Need to last at least 4 hours at power.
2) Not looking for brightest possible (say 20w or less).
3) Concerned about charging in remote International areas where 220v power supplies spike. Battery/charger type?
4) No requirement for primary to be HID, LED or HAL. Im asking you...
5) To be used for "extended rec" diving, not searching for missing U2's or exploring Wakulla Caves.

Cheers

For backup go with Photon Torpedo LED. Plenty bright for backup and better than many "primarys" for recreational dives. Another more costly option is Hesser. Both great backups.
I have the PT and it's built tough and quality built. Great burntime.

I have a Nocturnal lights (nocturnallights.com) TL50 primary. Overdriven Halogen. Built tough as well but would need the next size up canister for longer burn times. But if money is not an option I'd look into the high end HID's out there and start comparing. I like the Halogen as I can swap out bulbs and they're cheap to replace. There are some high end LED's coming out too. Compare those. You'll get great burntime and the lumens may suffice for you.

If you could get any primary canister and any 1 LED backup (FORGET THE COST)
2) Not looking for brightest possible (say 20w or less).

Cheers

If your looking for the top of the line light is is going to be better than a 20 watt... So what do you really want? If you want the top-o-the line get a 50watt HID. If you want something reasonable get a 10, 18 or 21 watt HID.

I've lost track of the link but there was a great light made by one of Phil Nuytten's companies that really wet my appetite.

Primary: Salvo 21W HID with LiIon battery.

Backup: Photon Torpedo LED or Salvo Rat or Intova LED (if you're not worried about a switch).

Salvo 21w HID
Photon Torpedo LED

Halcyon Explorer with 10 watt HID focusable head 4.5hr burn time
Tektite Excursion LS4, Indestructible LED backup
:palmtree: Bob

If your looking for the top of the line light is is going to be better than a 20 watt... So what do you really want? If you want the top-o-the line get a 50watt HID. If you want something reasonable get a 10, 18 or 21 watt HID.

Hey Codyjp,
To clarify the question, Im not looking for the best of the brightest but perhaps the best in the approx 20 watt range. Brighter does not necessary mean better with non-wreck and non-cave diving as mentioned as the type of light I'm looking for.

When I've been with other divers that had portable suns, I did not like how it scared off all the critters on night dives except a gazillion worms.

So Far I have researched Salvo, Pulsar, Oxycheq, Solus, Dive Rite, Halcyon, Green Force and Tilly Tec. Of course there are some great lights from these manufacturers. However, I still am not sure what type of battery is best for me knowing that most of my diving is in 3rd world remote areas where power supplies spike and are intermittent, often run by petrol generators. Ive heard that lead acid may be best suitable for these situations unless your charging off stable currents.

Would love to hear some comments about suitable battery types for remote areas.

Cheers,
A Chanster

If you want LED the Solus SU-2500 (or smaller SU-1250) takes my vote otherwise I like the salvo lineup of HID's and they are working out the issues on their LED line too.

LED is the way of the future so thats what I am switching over to from halogen rather than going to HID. the battery generally lasts longer and the light with dim rather than die like with an HID.

for backup the Rat or torpedo are both really nice but I also like the OMS and Solus ones equally well and if weight and size are not to much an issue the dive rite 500 lumen LED would make a nice backup although a bit large and intended as a primary it would be my first choice for a good backup/travel light if money was no issue (in fact I would get 2 since I need 2 backups for cave diving and like everything to match).

Of course your looking at dropping like $3k for that setup so you might want to just look into what everyone else saying for more like $1.5-1.8K

I'm no electrician and know very little about anything electrical but I have seen people plug in an adjustable power supply to the main power (generator or whatever) and than adjust the power output on that for the chargers and specialty science stuff. I dont know if that works for you and like I said I know little about power supplies so I cant really point out a specific type or anything. Sorry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom