spare mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In almost a thousand dives, I have lost my mask once, and that was a careless back roll off a boat in Australia. I carry a spare mask in two circumstances: a dive where a direct ascent is not an option (overhead or deco) or surf entries.

it depends on the dive. water temps are always the same so that doesn't affect it.
on big dives yes I do

I learned the hard way - dropped my mask after a long surface swim at Lobos, borrowed a buddies back up but it didn't fit my face well and was constantly leaking... now I carry a spare.

I don't expect my mask to ever fail but I do expect to drop, fumble or forget my primary mask. :)

Sorry for the confusion here. I am looking for responses from people who consider themselves DIR and specifically if you carry a spare mask with you on a dive.
Some DIRs I have asked say yes, some say no and I was curious what factors might affect that decision and if carrying a backup was in keeping with DIR principals?

Yes always - in my right pocket clipped off
reasons: my masks tend to hate me for some reason, and the band comes off my head occasionally, or recently it fogs or leaks (they fit, etc and it is not brand specific or style etc, fit great one day, like crap the next). so when it starts to piss me off, i switch mid dive. Also if i lose one on a boat or whatever, pull the backup out and carry on.

Sorry for the confusion here. I am looking for responses from people who consider themselves DIR and specifically if you carry a spare mask with you on a dive.
Some DIRs I have asked say yes, some say no and I was curious what factors might affect that decision and if carrying a backup was in keeping with DIR principals?

it depends on the dive and what the consequences of losing a mask are. if losing a mask would be a problem, we take it. if it isn't going to be a big deal we don't bother.

it's that whole thinking diver thing...

I'll take a spare mask when I want to continue the dive no matter what (within reason) or it would be really nice to be able to see to finish the dive and get home safe.

Dives involving scootering and multiple gas switches get a spare mask. 60ft reef dive? Nope, I'll just call it a day and surface.

I always carry one-- if I drive 2hrs to the ocean and pay $70 for a charter, I'm diving, and I would be pissed if I missed a dive because I left a mask that I already own for bigger dives, at home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom