Spare Air: some thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes of course YOU would say that.

I would say that redundant equipment exists not only because of inadequate training, but because even trained divers sometimes screw up due to human nature and because primary gear sometimes fails. Sometimes mother nature throws us a curveball and sometimes we run into unforseen circumstances such as an entanglement or another diver that needs our assistance.
I was referring specifically to the Spare Air (check the thread topic and read the conversation for context), not to all redundant equipment.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Several posts have been removed. Keep it on topic and the bickering to a minimum. Basic Scuba is not the place for this type of argument.

Last edited:
I'm just saying that the inadequate training of the user is the only "excuse" for the existence of the equipment.

If you have to make a free ascent / CESA from a depth outside your FATR, your chance of survival is greatly increased if you have an alternate air source, regardless of training. This WAS the reason for the design and production of the equipment in the first-place based on Larry Williamson's personal experience.

If I am outside of my FATR I am below 190 and a Spare Air is not going to help me. If I am above 190 I am inside my FATR and a Spare Air is just in the way.

So what that it almost killed me once, it's a useful tool for those so inclined.

Ever think of getting into advertising - we're always looking for talented copywriters who know how to reach out to the potential customer!

Ever think of getting into advertising - we're always looking for talented copywriters who know how to reach out to the potential customer!
:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I call it like I see it, I'm brutally honest and I don't pull any punches. However I acknowledge that I'm fallible and sometimes I make mistakes. It's not the fault of a Spare Air that I almost didn't return from one particular dive.

I guess MY wording was poor when I said a Spare Air almost killed me.

Oh the irony.

If I am outside of my FATR I am below 190 and a Spare Air is not going to help me. If I am above 190 I am inside my FATR and a Spare Air is just in the way.

Let's simplify this post for the newer diver.

Without passing any judgement, what Thal is essentially saying here is that there are only two conditions where a diver might be in need of more air, and in one of those cases he'd be "too deep" for a Spare Air to be any good, and in the other, he's going to be "too shallow" for a Spare Air to help him.

If you follow that reasoning, a diver will NEVER EVER be in a situation where an extra 20-30 breaths just might save his life.

A variety of free ascent ranges have been discussed in this long thread. Are people referring to ranges that they can make after they have taken the last breath or exhaled the last breath?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom