Spanish Rocks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive buddy and I went to Spanish Rocks for the first time today (08/02/10) 1PM.

The actual beach location was difficult to find because of a little road construction. The beach access is one block behind (west) the Shells restaurant which is in a small outlet mall. You will know it is the right beach access by a sign in the parking lot talking about sea turtles. It’s a small lot. We would have not been able to find this location without the help of Sea Trek Divers. The girl there was extremely friendly and helpful!

Swimming out at a slightly south angle viz was 5-6 feet. After 125 yards there were more and more sand dollars and less viz. After that there were many shells followed by a bit of grass. Right after and around the grass were the rocks. Viz at the rocks was 2-3 feet. Some isolated areas had lots of large suspended organic particles which didn't help with the viz. My depth gauge hit 18' max. Water temp was not recorded however my buddy used no suit and I used a 3 mil. Both of us were comfortable the entire time. There was also a big thermocline at the rocks. Some nice fish, crabs, coral and other cool items to look at. I recommend taking a compass to help prevent surfacing to find your way back to the beach.

We stayed in for about an hour and fifteen minutes. It was 10 minute swim to the rocks underwater. In my opinion, it’s worth the trip as long as you are comfortable with low viz. Remember to bring your dive flag and lots of fresh water. Also we were unable to find a hose to clean off the sand/dirt/etc. so don't bring your good car.

FYI, we also dove the Regina just before the Spanish Rocks. The Regina is located directly across from Sea Trek Divers and is about 75-100 yards out. In my opinion, it’s not worth your time. There is very little (almost nothing) of the wreck left because the city dumps sand on it for some beach restoration project.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom