Space Shuttle Launch May 15-June 3rd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CRAZYBOBC

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone from Florida could tell me where the best place to veiw the space shuttle launch is without a launch ticket. Like if you are driving towards it close can you get and would you still have a good view. Sorry for the nonscuba question I just didn't know where else to ask, and I know there are local Floridians on this board. Which I am also curious to know have you ever seen a live launch and how close were you, is it worth it. I dont want to get tickets because I am already going to be there May 13-20 and there is a possibility it could get delayed past the point of my visit.
Thanks

CRAZYBOBC:
I was wondering if anyone from Florida could tell me where the best place to veiw the space shuttle launch is without a launch ticket. Like if you are driving towards it close can you get and would you still have a good view. Sorry for the nonscuba question I just didn't know where else to ask, and I know there are local Floridians on this board. Which I am also curious to know have you ever seen a live launch and how close were you, is it worth it. I dont want to get tickets because I am already going to be there May 13-20 and there is a possibility it could get delayed past the point of my visit.
Thanks

Bob,
If you can get your hands on a pass, do it!!! It's well worth it. You'll get a good view. I got lucky for STS-2 (I'm dating myself), and I had a pass for the causeway between KSC and Cape Canaveral AFS. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll let you get that close any more.
Good places to go without a pass? The access road to CCAFS. I think they'll let you there... you can park along side the Banana River. Also, the 528 causeway along the Banana River. I'm not sure what kind of viewing there is on the 528 causeway along the Indian River... I'll have to look next time I cross it. You can also see it after it lifts off anywhere along the beach. Since this is a space station launch, it's going to head on a northerly trajectory, so you might want to think about getting on the north side of KSC for the best beach viewing. They might close Playalinda Beach (part of it is nude :eyebrow: ), so you might have to go further north... Someone from the North end of Brevard County can elaborate on the northern viewing areas.

BTW... I was driving through Jacksonville once... and I was able to see the shuttle.... at first we thought it was a plane, then we realized what it was.

Al

Should be a blast, last I heard there was a hairline crack in the main fuel tank or something........

ShakaZulu:
Should be a blast, last I heard there was a hairline crack in the main fuel tank or something........

I just looked on http://www.spaceflightnow.com and the crack didn't appear to be a problem.

Actually... during a countdown whether it's a Shuttle or expendable launch vehicle, we normally keep an eye on spaceflightnow to track the progress.

Over here on the west coast we regularly see the shuttle when it takes off..depending of course on the time of day and the weather. If you are anywhere near the Cape you should have a great view.

Really anywhere beachside in Brevard county is good. I live just south of Cocoa Beach and can any launch perfectly (and, as an added bonus the roar and rattle of windows). I used to live in Deland, which is west of Daytona Beach and we were able to it pretty good up there too. If you want to go to the northern Brevard area, try the boat ramps along US 1, their view should be unimpeded.

Yeah, we see it from our house to.... Pretty cool

i saw the shuttle from Gainesville and from Orlando, better view from Orlando

can't imagine how awesome it'd be close up

If you haven't been to www.ksc.nasa.gov, start there first....

Then go to: http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle/ to learn more about the mission. I've been watching the briefings and learning about the crew.. I'm VERY EXCITED to see the shuttle flying again. My wife and I were on Merritt Island for STS-109 and it was AMAZING. :D

To learn about viewing options go here: http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/about/view/index.html

NOW.. honestly, you can see the launch from virtually anywhere in FL and portions of GA. The closer you are the more incedible it is. If you can hook up with a PRESS pass your GOLDEN! Absolute best seats in the house, you'll never look up at the sky the same again!! Next to that Dinner with an Astronaut is your next best dealio.

I'll see what I can do to dig up a few pics of the visit when my wife and I went..

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom