SP Twin Speed v SP Jet Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richardbrown77

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to get a new pair of fins and am wondering what people think of the SP Adjustable 'Twin Speed' Fins. I hear lots of great things about split fins but also know alot of people are really keen on the 'Jet Fins'. I'm a fan of scuba pro so I have really narrowed it one of their fins.

I know the best pair of fins is the ones that fit with your boots but assuming they both do what do people think? I'll mainly be diving off New England with these if that changes anything.

Thanks for any input

Richard

I think you should go into your local dive shop and try it. If they have a pool, hopefully they'll let you test the equipment. Thats what I did when I was looking into the Jet fins, but after trying the twin jet split it felt right for me. :) Hope that helps.

Yeah try em out. I'd recommend trying the Twin Jet Maxs as well. Whatever you're most comfortable is the best fin.

This question comes up about once a week here. The answer is as stated above. ONLY YOU will know. Chocolate or Vanilla? I started with the twin jets and hated them. Switched to the Jets and will never go back. YMMV. The good news is you will have fun diving in whatever you buy!:D

Yeah this forum really needs a sticky..."before asking about which fins to pick read this" and then it says...get in a pool and try some different ones and pick the ones you like

richardbrown77:
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to get a new pair of fins and am wondering what people think of the SP Adjustable 'Twin Speed' Fins. I hear lots of great things about split fins but also know alot of people are really keen on the 'Jet Fins'. I'm a fan of scuba pro so I have really narrowed it one of their fins.

I know the best pair of fins is the ones that fit with your boots but assuming they both do what do people think? I'll mainly be diving off New England with these if that changes anything.

Thanks for any input

Richard

Richard,

I am going to offer you a slightly different perspective here than what the others have. In my opinion, "trying fins in a pool" only tells you a fraction of the information of what you might want when choosing fins. It might tell you sizing information and it might tell you what the fins "feel" like when you are doing the standard flutter kick.

One of the main reasons Jeftins are so popular is because they work incredibly well for divers who like to do helicopter kicks (lets you turn left or right) and back kicks (lets you go backwards). Unlike the flutter kick which just about anybody knows instinctively how to do, the helicopter and back kicks need to be learned.

So when you go into the pool to try on fins, all you can really do is flutter kick to see how each feels. You will likely not have the knowledge to compare fins in terms of the other kicks.

My advice to you is to think about whether or not you have interest in learning how to be able to turn left or right (not swimming around but rather staying in place and turning left or right) and being able to go backwards (not turn turn around and swim back but rather keeping your position and swimming backwards). If you do, then the choices become pretty clear - Jetfins are the choice.

diverdan214:
Yeah this forum really needs a sticky..."before asking about which fins to pick read this" and then it says...get in a pool and try some different ones and pick the ones you like

Some of us don't have access to a shop with fins our size...

We have a pair of Twin Speeds and 3 pairs of Jet Fins.

When we were actively DM'ing, we purchased the Twin Speeds for the top line speed. This was nice for long surface swims and catching speedy students.

However, for 99% of our diving, it's Jet Fins. Repertoire of kicks, strong thrust, negatively weighted, etc.

I keep thinking that I'll use Twin Speeds to get me to the float, and then I'll switch to Jet Fins for actual diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom