SP Twin Jets for LAB Similans, Richelieu Rock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

etexdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I dive almost exclusively in Cozumel, just drifting along enjoying the scenery. I rarely have to do any fast finning, unless I need to stay on something for a quick photo. Are my Twin Jets going to be GTG in Thailand on a LAB, or is the current such that I may need a blade fin? I'll be doing 4 dives a day, so don't want my aging knees to have to sacrifice too much. Thanks.

One of the most comfortable fins, but also quite powerless in strong currents.

When exactly are you going? If in full/new moon time you'll struggle big time with those fins.

Itinerary in March 8-14, 2015 with full moon on the 5th and new moon on the 20th.

Day 2: 4 dives in the southern Similan Islands then evening sail to the northern Similan Islands.Day 3: 4 dives in the northern Similan Islands then sail to Koh Bon.
Day 4: 2 morning dives at Koh Bon and 2 afternoon dives at Koh Tachai. Evening sail to Richelieu Rock.
Day 5: 2 morning dives at Richelieu Rock then sail to Surin for 2 afternoon dives. Evening sail back to the Similan Islands.
Day 6: 4 dives in central Similan then an overnight sail back to Phuket, arriving at Chalong Bay around 8am.

Also thinking about a day trip for Boon Sung wreck @ 16th or 17th of March 2015.

Last edited:
You're missing the strongest currents, and the strongest currents during your trip will be at the start, when there is more shelter compared to the more open sites, especially Tachai. So you'll be ok, even with those fins :).

Sounds like Diva Marine BTW, I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Last edited:
We are based on Phuket, where we have some really nice daytrips on offer, like Shark Point area, Racha Islands, and even Phi Phi area. But Boonson wreck is too far on a daytrip from Phuket, that is only an option from Khao Lak.

I've done dozens of LABs in the North and South Andaman with SB TwinJet fins. I like them very much. I never had any trouble keeping up with blade-fin divers in strong currents.

However, I recently bought some blade fins mainly because they pack much lighter. Plus, it's easier for me to frog kick with bladed fins.

I think you'll be fine with your jet fins.

Thanks again for the reply, stevenl. We will be staying in Khao Lak for a week after our LAB trip. Is there a dive op you recommend in Khao Lak? I have zero experience in Thailand, but we are going with a couple who have been there before, and they may already have an op in mind.

Thank you Buadhai. I'm going to stick with the twin jets, as they are really comfortable fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom