SP MK5 question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhwestfall

Woof!
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have 2 MK5's (maybe 3), one of which is a really early model (2 port swivel), with the others being the more conventional multi-port swivel. They are the "skinny" yoke, but that isn't a problem as I have a DIN kit for one (and may get one for the other if I get the urge). As has been discussed here, SP, back in the day, had a service bulletin out to change out the brass turret retainer bolt. The older one, is most definitely original. With that, two questions:

1. Are the retainer bolts the same between these two turret styles?

if so,

2. The group production of substitutes was before I was here, anyone have 1 to 3 around?

PM me if you can help.

Thanks if you can.

Some early MK5s did not use a turret bolt, instead they had a flange/circlip arrangement. I've seen one. If yours have bolts, I believe that all the MK5s used the same bolt, at least I've never seen a different one. I can sell you at least one SS bolt from my stash for whatever we paid for them, which I honestly can't remember. It takes me a while to get stuff out in the mail these days. I sent a few to Bryan at VDH, so he could sell them quickly.

Although, it's worth looking closely at your brass bolts; if they haven't been man-handled they're probably fine. I've only replaced one of mine, mostly because I'm waiting for the next rebuild to do the others, and MK5s can go a looooonnnnngg time between rebuilds, especially if you have a few and rotate them.

Back
Top Bottom