SP mk25 vs. mk17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mk17 should be less $ than MK25. I like Mk25/S600 (like to match it with an R390 octo) I have them on my doubles. The Mk17 is a new reg for the US. It has more parts to it, which can make it more difficult to service. The Mk25 flows more air than the Mk17. I don't remember the exact specs but it was an insane amount of air.

I have the Mk25/X650 with an R390 octo for my setup and like it. I also have another Mk25 for when I dive doubles. I've yet to have a free-flow and I've dove in some pretty cold water (34*F) here in upstate, NY.

I plan to buy some more regulators within the next year or so, and they'll most likely be Mk17s/S600 or Apeks combos.

I also plan to get two MK17 for the double set up.... I have used MK25AF/S600 and then switch to MK25AF/G250HP though... For the best cold water protection, MK17/G250HP is way to go... There is a rumor that G250HP will be discontinued though...

BTW, 34F~~~~~ Wow... It is a darn cold water... Derek....

I dive my mk16/r-190's in the cold water (as low as 30 degrees) that can be found in the shores off of eastern canada. We have been having a 'warm' winter and the water temp around nove scotia 3 days ago was 36 degrees. To this day i have had no trouble with these regs. My brother who is my dive bubby dives the mk2/r190 on his singles rig and neither of us have ever had a free flow.

That MK-25 isn't the reg for cold water, unless you like de-tuning it.

I detune my MK25 slightly for very cold water--and dive with an old all-metal balanced adjustable second stage (primary and octo). Also, there is an MK25AF (which mine is not), where the AF means anti-freeze (I believe). This refers not to the TIS coating technology--pretty much standard now, I believe--but rather to a tight exterior cluster of rising concentric rings between the swivel and the main body. This tight cluster of rings is supposed to dissipate the cold and/or create a surface that will prevent the formation of ice. In any case, in water above 40 degrees, I just go with my MK10.

DA Aquamaster:
I moved from Mk 20's and Mk 25's to a pair of Mk 17's have not regretted it.

The Mk 25 is easier to service (in part because the Mk 17 is so new). Many techs could rebuild a Mk 25 blindfolded, but they have to think about things when they rebuild their first few Mk 17's.

The Mk 17 is bullet proof in exremely cold water that would freeze up a mk 25 and is a better choice for water with lots of silt, etc. The Mk 17 is a superb reg and provides more than enough air at depth.

In my opinion, unless you like the swivel ports, the Mk 17 is a better reg than the Mk 25.

Dealers make a little more money off Mk 25 combinations than they do Mk 17 combinations, but personally, I think the Mk 17 is going to outlive the Mk 25 as it is a very compact, lightweight yet excellent performing design.

Listen to what he said.. You never regret.... DA is a SP expert in our board...

Based on my experience, I recommend MK17/G250HP for the cold water where the water is below 40F. Next, MK25AF/G250HP. As for the octo, my choice is R190 that is a bullet proof and almost maintenance free stage.

If you don't plan to serve your reg by yourself, you don't need to worry about the service. It is the technician job, not you. You should get the right service what you paid for...

Just my 2 psi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom