SP mk25 vs. mk17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donooo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I'am looking t a new SP reg. While hanging at the shop, I heard a "salesperson" sell the mk25 (piston) as being much better at depth then a diaphram. Didn't seem that way to me when I decided to buy my Cyclone 5000. So has something changed ? Probably will add a S600, any better ideals. Seems like they sell a lot more mk25's. Checked with the service guy and he said the mk25 was easier to service. Is that so ???? And the "matching" octo is ?????

Been trying to figure this out from other threads, but got a headache. Like to know what those with more knowledge/experience think.

thanks don O

donooo:
I'am looking t a new SP reg. While hanging at the shop, I heard a "salesperson" sell the mk25 (piston) as being much better at depth then a diaphram. Didn't seem that way to me when I decided to buy my Cyclone 5000. So has something changed ? Probably will add a S600, any better ideals. Seems like they sell a lot more mk25's. Checked with the service guy and he said the mk25 was easier to service. Is that so ???? And the "matching" octo is ?????

Been trying to figure this out from other threads, but got a headache. Like to know what those with more knowledge/experience think.

thanks don O
Any octo will do.
Pistons are easier to service having fewer parts, not that diaphragms are complicated.
Being better at depth is a new one to me.
diaphragms are inherently better for cold water, most do very well without the environmental seals.

donooo:

thanks don O

I have the MK25/S600 with an R390 octo for my primary setup and really like it. I also have a MK25/550 and MK20/550, with the R380/390 octos as my backups. They are relatively easy to service and good regs. Easy to get parts for. Can't comment on the MK17 though as this is a "new" first stage hence that's one reason the piston outselling it. I don't do a lot of cold water diving (<50*) either. From what I understand, diaphragms are less service friendly...never owned or serviced one though so I'm not qualified to go there.

rmannix:
Pistons are easier to service having fewer parts, not that diaphragms are complicated.

It's all relative... A piston reg like a Scubapro MK2 is "easier to service having fewer parts" but my Scubapro MK20/25 (piston) are more complicated (and have more parts) than my Apeks FSTs and FSR (diaphragm).

I moved from Mk 20's and Mk 25's to a pair of Mk 17's have not regretted it.

The Mk 25 is easier to service (in part because the Mk 17 is so new). Many techs could rebuild a Mk 25 blindfolded, but they have to think about things when they rebuild their first few Mk 17's.

The Mk 17 is bullet proof in exremely cold water that would freeze up a mk 25 and is a better choice for water with lots of silt, etc. The Mk 17 is a superb reg and provides more than enough air at depth.

In my opinion, unless you like the swivel ports, the Mk 17 is a better reg than the Mk 25.

Dealers make a little more money off Mk 25 combinations than they do Mk 17 combinations, but personally, I think the Mk 17 is going to outlive the Mk 25 as it is a very compact, lightweight yet excellent performing design.

DA Aquamaster:
I moved from Mk 20's and Mk 25's to a pair of Mk 17's have not regretted it.

The Mk 25 is easier to service (in part because the Mk 17 is so new). Many techs could rebuild a Mk 25 blindfolded, but they have to think about things when they rebuild their first few Mk 17's.

The Mk 17 is bullet proof in exremely cold water that would freeze up a mk 25 and is a better choice for water with lots of silt, etc. The Mk 17 is a superb reg and provides more than enough air at depth.

In my opinion, unless you like the swivel ports, the Mk 17 is a better reg than the Mk 25.

Dealers make a little more money off Mk 25 combinations than they do Mk 17 combinations, but personally, I think the Mk 17 is going to outlive the Mk 25 as it is a very compact, lightweight yet excellent performing design.
I do like my mk25 but sometimes wished it was more compact and lighter.

midwestdvr:
I do like my mk25 but sometimes wished it was more compact and lighter.

There are 2 lighter versions of the MK25, the SA made mostly of aluminum and a Titanium version too.

Scuba Cowboy:
There are 2 lighter versions of the MK25, the SA made mostly of aluminum and a Titanium version too.

Although, you will need a heavier wallet for either one:D

I bought a mk25 w/ 2 s600's (i dont do the whole octopus second stage thing). but i am going for the mk17 as my second reg. It's apparently much less prone to free flowing than the mk25. I went with the '25 due to the hose routing on single tanks, which is excellent :>. I don't believe for one second pistons or diaphrams perform much differently at depth. Sounds like a sales pitch for more money.

Back
Top Bottom