SP Mk25/S600 - Feedback

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

verona

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Just wanted to give feedback on this reg which I got new a week ago. I upgraded from an R390 and the difference is huge. S600 is a really smooth breather and feels effortless. I had heard people mention its propensity to freeflow in cold water but I have done 4 dives so far at 53F and had no problem. I had VIVA fully open plus the other flow switch fully open at all times to test it out. So, so far so good. Can't wait to get it into tropical waters! I also purge cleared it at depth without problem. Next time I'm out, I will try it in different positions and also in different swimming positions.

Thanks to all who gave me useful advice about choice if regs. Now I can recommend this reg, too.

verona:
Just wanted to give feedback on this reg which I got new a week ago. I upgraded from an R390 and the difference is huge. S600 is a really smooth breather and feels effortless. I had heard people mention its propensity to freeflow in cold water but I have done 4 dives so far at 53F and had no problem. I had VIVA fully open plus the other flow switch fully open at all times to test it out. So, so far so good. Can't wait to get it into tropical waters! I also purge cleared it at depth without problem. Next time I'm out, I will try it in different positions and also in different swimming positions.

Thanks to all who gave me useful advice about choice if regs. Now I can recommend this reg, too.

They are a very nice reg. In my neck-of-the-woods, water temps of 53 degrees are considered warm. I know of a number of divers who have had regular first stage icing problems when the water temps fell below 45 degrees. Personally, I use nothing but diaphragm first stages as my diving is often times in waters that vary from the low 30's to the mid 50's. One site that I frequent has never seen temps above 40 at the bottom. These are the types of dives where free flows are common with piston regs without the ambient water chamber being isolated from the surrounding water.

Greg

SP considers cold water to be 50 degrees and the S600 does fine at that temp.

This morning the water temp at 130 ft was 43 degrees, and that is about as warm as it will get. Where I have encountered problems is in water in the low 40's and below. In my experience, at depth, in 40 degree water, the S600 is much more prone to freeflow than the G250.

I got a bunch of S600's and MK25's and haven't had any problems with them down to 40F. I believe there is a kit to winterize them though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom