SP MK2 Plus or Apeks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vf84pc

Reaction score
I've done most of my diving in warm water on rental equip. I like to wreck dive and have dove to 30+ meters in the past. I would like to start diving here in the Great Lakes but only in the summer months. Would the MK2+ be adaequite or is it better to wait and purchase Apeks regs?

the sp mk2 / + is a nice rental set.... period! nothing else. it is easy, sturdy, drag to the mud and work. its not a top of the line reg. will it work at 30mtr - yes, sure. is it comfy and feels like there is plenty of air delivery left - no.
it is a good sturdy reg with min. service probs. if you think about going regular to 30+ meters (or even close) do yourself as favour and buy something decent! apeks (even without a model is a good idea), dont think about the low end!!! you can have a reg forever - some of mine actually come from dad! we talking poseidon cyclons there. i love them, my dad did - there is (arguably - that just looks wrong, anyway) better this days - but not much!!!
anyway - what i try to say, dont skimp on a regulator! its a piece you can have forever with a bit care and (yes it might get expensive) will be cheaper in the long run by buying something decent. you can pick up an apeks tx100 for next to nothing this days and it is a (if maintained) top regulator! still hard to beat - even by apeks followups. i had the atx200 and so on. still diving my tx100 sets.
anyway - if youre tight on cash - sure mk2+ incl.whatever will work (as good as any other reg for 1/2 the price), if you think halfway ahead - bite the bullet and get something decent! you will be happier and it will cost you less in the long run!

Apeks, for sure !! I use ATX200s, and am more then happy with them !! It's definately worth that bit extra cash.

The Scubapro MK2 is an unbalanced piston regulator. they are simple, tougher than rocks, and are great breathing cheap regulators. They are a regulator that I would only use in recreational diving though. Being that they are unbalanced they will be tougher to breath at deeper depths.

For deeper dives you will want to look at a balanced diaphram regulator or a balanced piston regulator. Balanced diaphram regulators are great because most of them are environmentally sealed and work great in colder waters and water that has a high level of sediment. The downside to them is that they require more frequient maintenance because the diaphram and seals wear out quicker.

Balanced piston regulators are great rugulators for deeper dives, but allot of them don't perform as well in colder or high sediment waters.

Don't get stuck on a brand. Look for features that you want and if you can find somebody who services the regulators that you buy locally that is even better because you should have quicker turn around times when you have them serviced.

I used MK25/S600 and Apeks Atx200 for technical trimix dive, my testimonies is both have very good performance balanced regulator.
Jason:D

vf84pc:
I've done most of my diving in warm water on rental equip. I like to wreck dive and have dove to 30+ meters in the past. I would like to start diving here in the Great Lakes but only in the summer months. Would the MK2+ be adaequite or is it better to wait and purchase Apeks regs?

amascuba:
The Scubapro MK2 is an unbalanced piston regulator. they are simple, tougher than rocks, and are great breathing cheap regulators. They are a regulator that I would only use in recreational diving though. Being that they are unbalanced they will be tougher to breath at deeper depths.

I agree that the MK2 is simple and great breathing, but the unbalanced design of the MK2 has nothing to do with it's performance at depth; unbalanced regs respond to depth in the same way as balanced regs. "Unbalanced" means that the IP will drop slightly as tank pressure falls below 500PSI, and breathing resistance will increase. By the time it gets noticable, you'd be low enough on air so that if you're not very close to the surface, you need the "reminder".

I know for a fact that this reg will supply more air than any single diver could breathe at anything even close to recreational depths. Two or three divers huffing and puffing off one MK2 in an emergency, maybe that's a different story. It is also more freeze resistant than most high performance regs. The second stage it's usually paired with, the R190, is almost certainly not as smooth or as effortless as the higher performance apeks regs, especially at depths in excess of 100 ft, but don't let anyone tell you that it won't work well in the conditions you've described.

I've compared my MK2 back to back with my MK15/G250, which by anyone's standards is a very high performing reg. At rec depths (down to 120 ft or so) there is a slight but noticable difference in the ease of breathing, but its nothing like "damn, I can't get enough air".

We all tend to forget that most decent regs made today perform far better than we really need, and that divers a few decades ago routinely made very demanding dives with regs that wouldn't make it out of a pool by today's standards. Still, my favorite 2nd stage is my old balanced adjustable, probably made in the early 80s/late 70s.

Not to disparage Apeks, I've only ever read good things about their regs, but I do dive an MK2+ so thought I'd add my two cents...

It certainly is SP's entry-level workhorse reg, no frills. But I have been extremely satisfied with it. I regularly dive to 100+ feet, and regularly dive in waters in the 30s F. I dive Lake Superior here year round, as well as MN mine pits year round (under the ice) and I have never had a freeze up. The MK2+ has SP's TIS ("thermal insulating system") which apparently works if my own experience is any indication. So when I decided to add a pony system to have a completely redundant air supply and I needed to get another reg I decided to pick up another MK2+. Total cost? $60 for a brand new one on ebay (1st stage only). Works like a charm.

vf84pc:
I would not wait and purchase Apeks, but then I would not use a Mk 2 for what you want to do either.

Instead I would wait and buy an SP Mk 17 with a G250 or X650 second stage. It's better than what you would get with any Apeks. SP was a little slow in developing a really good sealed diaphragm first stage, but the Mk 17 is now, in my opinon, the best first stage around for deep technical or cold water diving.

In comparison with the Apeks in quality check out the Zeagle DSV with ZX second and ZX Octo. www.zeagle.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom