SP Jetfins or AL Rockets in Full foot version?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ozziworld

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I was wondering if either the Scubapro Jetfins or Aqualung Rockets ever been produced in a Full Foot version? I have not dived with boots or wet suit in a long time and would like to find jetfins or Rockets in Full Foot. Anyone ever seen these? Any advise would be much appreciated.

The French diving equipment manufacturer Beuchat, the original developer of Jetfins, produced a full foot version back in the mid-1960s:

BeuchatJetFins.jpg

So far as I am aware, Scubapro has never made a full-foot version.

The only fins I know that are full-foot, resemble jet fins and are in still in production are Free-Sub Süper Jets:

3303_buyuk.jpg
Free-Sub

Yes, but you will never find any.

Look at some Cressi or Mares full foot fins. N

I already have a pair of Mares full foot fins and I love them. never use anyhting else. I was thinking of looking for something with more power and thought of the Jets since they are also shorter I thought they might be worth looking at.

I checked out the Free-sub link it it looks quite interesting. Itis non-english though and I think the language is in Turkish. Their products are also quit interesting as they seem to utilze a lot of tradional style designs and gear arrangements.

Thanks so much for the link. Now if I could only find a dealer.

Why are you looking at those things, because "tech" divers like them? Get a set of Mares Super Channels!

I already have a pair of Mares full foot fins and I love them. never use anyhting else. I was thinking of looking for something with more power and thought of the Jets since they are also shorter I thought they might be worth looking at.

I checked out the Free-sub link it it looks quite interesting. Itis non-english though and I think the language is in Turkish. Their products are also quit interesting as they seem to utilze a lot of tradional style designs and gear arrangements.

Thanks so much for the link. Now if I could only find a dealer.
\

Don't know what full foot fins you have but both Mares and Cressi have full foot models that are quite a bit stronger than the JetFin or at least equal to the Jet Fin XL (Super Jet). I have some old Plana Graphites that are fully the equal and then some of my Jets.

N

I checked out the Free-sub link it it looks quite interesting. Itis non-english though and I think the language is in Turkish. Their products are also quit interesting as they seem to utilze a lot of tradional style designs and gear arrangements. Thanks so much for the link. Now if I could only find a dealer.

Yes, the language is indeed Turkish. I'm always on the lookout for basic gear using traditional designs and materials - as a snorkeller since the early 1960s I've always disliked plastic fins - which is how I chanced upon the Free-Sub fins during an online search.

As for finding a dealer, I only know of one online retailer,

Balikmarketim.com - Profesyonel ve Amatör Balýkçýnýn Alýþveriþ Sitesi | JET

and the company, of course, is Turkish as well. I've never tried the fins or used this online retailer, so I can't endorse either. They are only available in three sizes too, 40-41, 40-43, 44-45, the biggest, 45, approximating to US size 11. You may well end up following other contributors' advice because of the communication and distribution problems involved with acquiring this gear. Another alternative source of all-rubber stiff-bladed full-foot fins is the Japanese Gull Hard Mew, which I can recommend as I have a pair:

mew_color_10.jpg

They're used by some underwater hockey players. Gull fins aren't widely available in western countries, but one Scubaboard contributor, who is based in Japan, is prepared to sell and ship them anywhere in the world:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fins-masks-snorkels/242056-gull-diving-fins.html

As for Free-Sub, I can't help nurturing a sneaking admiration for small local diving equipment manufacturers that try to give, rather than tell, their customers what they want.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone. Actually, as mentioned in my second post. I already have a pair of MARES Avati Tre which I have been using the last 8 years.

The reason I was even looking to replace them are I got cought in some pretty stiff current recently and felt stiffer fins would have been better to have. This is the first time I ever felt "under powered" with these fins. I know they are not the stiffest as they are very comfortable to use. Just thought I might look into some other design that may give me more power.

Nah, the tech thing is not a big deal to me. Have been diving long enough to assess a trend and how to keep what is good and let the fads pass. Do like black as it does not look as dated as my day glow trimmed gear bag and other gear from the late eighties. My black gear from '88 looks as current as other gear currently marketed (Black SP Jacket style). Glad I never bought a neon wet suit in 1988.

I really would not know if the Jet fin design is any more powerful, so just curious. I actually do not like the weight the rubber fins are burdened with. I like the fact they are short though.

Anyway, that leads me in another direction as I am now curious about other full foot fins that may have more power than my trusty old Avantis. Maybe some recommendations where I might start looking?

On another related subject. The group I was with when I got caught in some strong current ended up on a very rocky beach where we decided to wait for the boat. Since I did not have boots, Full foot fan that I am, my feet actually were exposed to a lot of sharp rocks exiting into a very rocky beach (small basketball size rocks not boulders). So am thinking maybe I should reconsider my fanatical dislike for boots and actually consider getting new boots and fins to go with it. I still have my MARES Plana Avantis from 1990 though they are kinda beat up. I don't recall them giving me any more power than the full foot ones I am using.

I should stop here, I think this is becoming too broad and has already been covered in other threads.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Back
Top Bottom