Sp Air2 W/ Dive Alert Hose Too Long

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps you should look at navigation skills and dive op selection.

I won't disagree with you on navigation skills. Of course poor viz and strong currents can be a challenge for even the most seasoned divers. With more experience I hope to never need it. However, with fishing also comes sharks and it's imparitive to get out of the water quickly if you want to keep your dinner. I've never used a dive op. Private diving. I do find that many very experienced divers and spearos use an Dive Alert and I've had several commercial guys recommend them to me.

There is some misinformation and confusion that has been posted.

The SP Air2 fitting is a larger diameter than the standard LP quick-disconnect fitting, which allows for a larger flow rate into the AIR2.
You do NOT want to cobble up some kind of adapter from a standard BC hose to make it fit a AIR2, you would be limiting the flow rate (not the air pressure) for your breathing, if you need to use the AIR2. Think of it as a little thin soda straw vs a big fat soda straw....you get more flow through the big fat one for the same suction on it.

The solution is to use a standard LP second-stage regulator hose (not a BC hose) of the desired length, plus a 9/16-inch fitting that goes on the end of the hose to fit the SP AIR2. For example, you can buy a LP Hose/ BC Inflator-Octo Adaptor (ScubaPro Air 2) adapter, plus a regulator hose of the desired length, rubber or braided, for example UltraFlex Low Pressure Hose 20" Inches "Black".

If you want to use a standard BC inflator (not the AIR2), then you just use a different adapter, such as LP Hose/ BC Quick Disconnect Adaptor.

Use a regular LP regulator hose and get the Air2 adapter. Way cheaper then the 'special' hose they will try and sell you. This also opens up your options to using miflex and other more durable types. same goes for your QD consoles if your are going that route

Yes, I understand the fitting makes the difference. It's apprent the "special hose" is marketing.

A bloke died a couple of years ago following the failure of a bodged up hose connection to the AP equivalent of an Air2. Water had got into the end of the hose and it had rotted. Eventually it failed and he ended up switching off too much stuff.

Switch off too much stuff??? I'm not sure I folllow what happened.

If there was a failure of the inflator connection I would detach it. If the hose itself failed I would crimp it. Of course I should point out the reason for the AIR2 in the first place is to allow unencumbered fishing while carrying a tank mounted pony necklaced under my chin.

Switch off too much stuff??? I'm not sure I folllow what happened.

If there was a failure of the inflator connection I would detach it. If the hose itself failed I would crimp it.

He turned off both his dil and his bailout. Started to sink, needed to add more gas, had only o2 available and on, lost it and headed for the surface.

Several failures, starting with the hose and including various 'technique' issues. But the hose was the problem that started it. I seem to recall the big bore connector had been stuffed onto a standard lp inflator hose. Don't do that.

Yes, I understand the fitting makes the difference. It's apprent the "special hose" is marketing.

You're confused by semantics. "Hose" here refers to the rubber plus the fittings. The rubber part is the same (for LP hoses), but the fittings can vary. There is no "marketing" involved....unless you are paranoid, or pessimistic, or uninformed, or some combination.

I have an older style Dive Alert for AIR2 that can be used with any length standard hose. If you want to shorten up your hose using your DA3 you will need a new shorter standard hose and a AIR 2 adapter like the one below.

IMG_2087.JPG
IMG_2089.JPG

You're confused by semantics. "Hose" here refers to the rubber plus the fittings. The rubber part is the same (for LP hoses), but the fittings can vary. There is no "marketing" involved....unless you are paranoid, or pessimistic, or uninformed, or some combination.

Scubapro did (does) sell what it advertised as a "super flow" LP hose. The downstream end had a slightly larger bore, enough of a difference that it required a pita thinner oring (like 1mm x 7mm).

Many of the Air 2 hoses are supplied as a regulator hose with the Air 2 adapter. You should check to see if this is the case for your hose. If it is just purchase a shorter regulator hose and install the Air 2 adapter on to it.
Ha! i never noticed that! I just looked at an old SP hose I had and sure enough, the QD fitting comes off. Any regulator hose of any length could be used....thanks!
I also have an older Dive Alert designed for the SP fittings, male and female. Haven't used it in years.

I don't have scuba pro air2, but I have had atomic ss1. I can comform the LP hose for atomic ss1 is a regular LP hose with ss1 adapter. I tent to believe it is the same for other manufacturers as well

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom