Sp 105 Mk V....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everything! :D

I may be buying a set. Looks like 4 or 5 LP's in pics.
Yoke psi?
Can they be upgraded for higher 1st psi?
How does 2nd breathe?
service kits still available?
and so on, and so on..... :D

Service parts are no problem. They breath pretty good. As it's the only reg I've used in all this time, I have no basis for comparison.

The 1st stages came in 2 versions. Early ones are LP, rated for 2450 PSI that was common on the steel 72's. At some point they upgraded the yoke to a 3000 PSI rating. The yoke has 3000 stamped on it near the body of the 1st stage. I use this on 3300 PSI AL100 tanks all the time.

Mine has 2 HP & 4 LP ports.

The only part that has become hard to get is the exhaust T. They do make a universal T, still available. I'm hearing that some shops are claiming they're discontinued & charging a lot for this part, but my tech not only had one in stock, he called & confirmed they are still available for the price he's been paying for them. I bought one & keep it in my save a dive kit. The old ones get hard, don't fit quite as good & get to where they will pop off pretty easy. So you can suddenly find yourself with all the bubbles coming out at your chin :D

If you get one in good shape, take care of it. Don't let it dry out when wet with salt water, keep it wet until you can give it a FW rinse. Salt crystals forming will accelerate damage to the chrome finish. Mine still looks pretty new after all these years & getting one rechromed would cost a fortune, I'm sure.

Mine breathes pretty dry. If does breath a little wet if I'm on my back but not enough to bother me & all other positions it's dry.

talon4477:
Everything! :D

I may be buying a set. Looks like 4 or 5 LP's in pics.
Yoke psi?
Can they be upgraded for higher 1st psi?
How does 2nd breathe?
service kits still available?
and so on, and so on..... :D

I assume the 2nd stage you are talkinmg about is the R109 Adjustable. Mk5 service parts are readily available, but upgrades for the the 2 LP port turret version as well as Yoke upgr4ades may not be as easy to find. Actually thare are at least 3 versions of the yoke. Scubapro recommends only using the version with the 9/16 inch yoke screw for 3000 psi service. It is the heavy modern looking yoke marked 3000 at the top of the yoke. I have one Mk5 that I still use with 3000 psi aplications but it has a 7/16 inch yoke screw and the yoke is marked 3000 at it base. It is clearly lighter looking than yokes. I'm not sure, but it looks like the yoke nut is also heavier in the modern version which may be the real problem in converting. Ebay often has a DIN conversion kit for Mk5s as an alternative.

The R109 has the same valve design as the G200 (unbalanced) but with the adjustment knob. I think driopping that design when they brought in the G-series was a real disservice to their diving customers. I use both balanced and unbalanced adjustables and under most conditions it hard to tell the difference. In fact, I prefer the unbalanced adjustable as an octo and in current and surge conditions as it is a little less likely to freeflow. Converting and R109 to a BA requires a $20 annual service kit (same as the S600) and a lighter $5 valve spring.

Wayward Son:
The only part that has become hard to get is the exhaust T. They do make a universal T, still available. I'm hearing that some shops are claiming they're discontinued & charging a lot for this part, but my tech not only had one in stock, he called & confirmed they are still available for the price he's been paying for them. I bought one & keep it in my save a dive kit. The old ones get hard, don't fit quite as good & get to where they will pop off pretty easy. So you can suddenly find yourself with all the bubbles coming out at your chin :D

Unless you also have a pot of boiling water in that save-a-dive kit, that universal exhaust T isn't going to do you much good there. If it isn't almost too hot to handle, then it will not be hot enough to stretch into place. I suggest you go ahead and make the conversion before you head out for the dive you think you can save.

I still would not mind picking up another spare T if you can still get them at a reasonable price

awap:
I assume the 2nd stage you are talkinmg about is the R109 Adjustable.

105 2nd stage with the MK V 1st.

Will find out if it has the 3000 psi stamp on yoke.

Converting to DIN sounds like good idea.

If this helps any.......I think they should enlarge if clicked on

I don't know the number designation of my 2nd, 105 or 109. It's a balanced adjustable, looks just like the one in your pics. Funny thing is, I never mess with the knob so it's importance is questionable.

AWAP, you're prolly right about that T. I may go ahead & install it & just keep my old one as a spare part. George did confirm that these are still shipping at normal prices. He wishes he could charge what the other shop did, but sees no way to justify it.

Looking at the pic of the 1st, I think that looks like a 3000 yoke. Best to confirm the stamping, though.

I see a new DIN adapter for MK V on ebay for $48 shipped. Is that about the going rate?

Any idea what years the 105 MK V's were made?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom