Southern Visayas in August???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highdesert

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings, all -

Been trying to get to the Philippines for three years now, and may be close this time, but looking for some info about the Soutern Visayas in August. I know ... there's no sure thing as far as weather, viz, rain, etc., but as a generalization, on the average, what could be expected that time of year? Is it a good period there, not so much, in between? I guess one of my biggest concerns would be whether rainfall runoff from land that time of year will seriously impact visibility.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
OK ... answered my own question. Height of rainy season. Guess we'll try again next year.

I have been coming to Philippines regularly over last 15 yrs. At no time did RAIN ever affect my diving in the country. I might have lost couple of days due to typhoon but that's about it.

Southern Visayas: Bohol and Siquijor?

I'm also planning a trip to Southern Visayas for August - I'd like to spend time on Panglao and dive the beaches there. I've heard great things about Balicasag, so I'll try to get out there a few times as well.

Many members have posted recommendations about shops & accomodations in threads - any site favorites? Any preferred dive times (a.m. / p.m.) according to sites?

I have a few fears ... hope SOMEBODY can give me some reassurance. I live in Taiwan, and every August we get the leftovers from practically every typhoon that hits the Philippines.

I'm honestly not worried about the rain so much, but how about rough conditions? If the boat can't go out, the boat can't go out, right? But can a local (or experienced Visayas diver) feed a guy some odds? How have the past few seasons been during August?

Going over my dive logs way back May 2009 when its supposed to be summer and waves are calm, we were not able to dive balicasag Islands as waters are rough and to everyone's surprise, "habagat winds" are already upon us. But we nonetheless had a blast diving Doljo and Napaling Point. Returned on August 2009 and to my amazement, skies were clear and water is 84 deg fahrenheit. In both instances I was staying at Alona Beach, and during the latter trip the outrigger boat we were in is now capable of crossing to Balicasag Island. But with this year's La Nina season, its really anybody's guess what would be the conditions this coming August.

But in my opinion that should not really deter you from cancelling your entire trip altogether considering that there are other alternative dive sites along the coastlines of alona beach as well as on the other side, in the event that waters are rough and the boats are incapable of riding the waves towards Balicasag Island. However, to increase your odds of being able to dive balicasag, I suggest that you make your travel schedule more flexible and the duration longer so as to be able to accomplish your purpose in coming over to the Philippines and being able to dive the best sites Bohol/Alona/Balicasag have to offer.

Thanks nelsondejesus for the great response

I'm looking forward to the trip - it'll be my first in PI, but rain or shine, calm or chaotic, I know that I'm going to return ... members here have been posting stuff from all around the country, and there are now quite a few places that are HIGH on my 'to do' ...

Scubic, Malapascua, Moalboal, PG ...

Sure am glad that I'm just a few hours away!

Back
Top Bottom