August liveaboard worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Parlem

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi!

A couple of liveaboard providers are offering attractive discounts on their August prices. I've only dived the Maldives in August while resort-based and both times we had mostly unsettled weather and rough seas, so much so that a couple of days the dhoni wouldn't even go out (Fihalohi). I seem to remember that visibility took a hit, too.

Question: do liveaboards adapt their "Classic Maldives" or "Central Atolls" itinerary to avoid the worst weather during the wet monsoon?

I like the lower prices, but would not consider an August liveaboard if the diving conditions will be as poor as I've experienced while land-based. I've been on a liveaboard in March and it was just wonderful ... but much higher price, of course!

Please share your thoughts and experiences. And thank you in advance!

I'm no expert but I think August is the SW monsoon season. That would render those "Classic Maldives", "Central Atolls" and "Best of Maldives" less than ideal. That might explain the cheaper prices you may have seen. For example, Ari Atoll is usually one of the atolls highlighted in such itineraries, and the more popular divesites there are probably facing directly into the oncoming winds. Whether they adjust their itineraries within the same general set of atolls to seek out more sheltered sites within those atolls, I don't know.

Both of my "Central Atolls" or "Best of Maldives" trips were in February, which is during the NE Monsoon season.

Conversely, the trip that I did in September, which like August, is during their SW Monsoon, was to Baa Atoll to do Hanifaru Bay for the mantas. That was back in the days when you could still scuba there.

Trying to bring this thread to the top and hopefully you get more replies.

I don't know about August. I went to Maldives around March and December.

Here is in March 2021:

Here is in December 2018

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom