Southern Thailand end of August (Training + Advanced)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out Koh Lanta too. You can fly to Krabi airport from Bangkok and transfer to the island via its carry ferry service very easily. From Lanta you can dive at Koh Ha which is better than the dive sites around Phi Phi, IMO, and tends to have better visability too... Try Lanta Diver.

Thanks for the Kata Beach and Koh Lanta suggestions! So many choices!
Looks like it should be possible to get to most destinations on the 28th in the early PM, send her off to class, then dive till Sept 1st and fly out early PM on the 2nd.

I sent an inquiry to Scuba-Addicts in Krabi the other day but they seem too busy diving to respond. Let's see about Koh Lanta.

I assume most day-trip diving from Phuket happens to the East rather into the blue West of it?

Thanks for the Kata Beach and Koh Lanta suggestions! So many choices!
Looks like it should be possible to get to most destinations on the 28th in the early PM, send her off to class, then dive till Sept 1st and fly out early PM on the 2nd.

I sent an inquiry to Scuba-Addicts in Krabi the other day but they seem too busy diving to respond. Let's see about Koh Lanta.

I assume most day-trip diving from Phuket happens to the East rather into the blue West of it?
For OW courses to the South, at the Racha Islands. Fur fundiving also to the East, Shark Point area and Phi Phi area.

Diving from Phuket in August is usual good and the island is quieter than in the high season so you can get good deals on accommodation.
Dive sites can include Phi Phi, shark point etc as well as the usual training grounds of Racha Yai and Noi.
As said before I would avoid the far North beaches as Kata, Karon and Patong have transfers to and from boats included in them and these do not.

Ok, I checked a few places...

Koh Lanta seems to be best for my kind of diving since its close to Hin Muang and Hin Daeng (I like big stuff)
But this being low season many operators seem to be closed and others courteously warn about weather conditions.
I guess the boats there are smaller and more susceptible to 'rough' sea, plus groups may be too small to bother going far...

Considering this and our time constraints with additional transfers it's probably most practical to stick around Krabi or Phuket and look at nudibranch instead of mantas (sigh...).
I'll take another look at Phuket (thanks for the locations, Suba Cat). Maybe I can even catch an overnight liveaboard while my friend is stuck training in the pool :)

Thanks!

Hin Daeng and Muang are possible some times in the green season, but not always due to conditions and the travel distance. You are around 2 to 3 hours from the nearest shelter if on a big boat.
So you may find an operator going or may not.....it is difficult to confirm the trips during this time.
There are a couple of dive centers in Phuket (including ours) that run overnight liveaboards to Phi Phi at this time, and it is possible to finish the open water course on board at these sites so no need to separate.

Koh Lanta seems to be best for my kind of diving since its close to Hin Muang and Hin Daeng (I like big stuff)
But this being low season many operators seem to be closed and others courteously warn about weather conditions.
I guess the boats there are smaller and more susceptible to 'rough' sea, plus groups may be too small to bother going far...

This is the low season, and the weather can be unpredictable. When you're at Hin Daeng/Hin Muang there is no protection at all for the boat, and indeed the journey out is in the open. Numbers at this time of year can be a factor too, but the dive centres that stay open get together and share boats. I'd expect you would not make it out there. But you can get to both Koh Ha and Koh Phi Phi easily enough.

I'll take another look at Phuket (thanks for the locations, Suba Cat). Maybe I can even catch an overnight liveaboard while my friend is stuck training in the pool :)

Thanks!

Bear in mind that the Similans are also closed at this time of year, and your 'liveaboard' would probably be an overnight trip to Koh Phi Phi... But that could be a cool option for your friend taking the course !

Well, I have no illusion about the Similans being an option. But next time for sure! :)
Yes, those overnight trips could be fun. I'll check it! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom