Southern Thailand end of August (Training + Advanced)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

_beluga_

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi!

After cert I did my first open water dives in Phuket over a decade ago. It's time to come back!

My 1st question is regarding seasons - various sources say the Gulf is better than the Adaman Sea at this time of the year.
How does the visibility stand up? Does this have serious merit? Does it make a difference where to find large critters?

The 2nd is regarding training + diving. While I am a Divemaster, my friend is uncertified, which I intend to change by sending her to an Open Water course.
At the same time would I like to get some solid diving in. We can split for dives but ideally stay with the same operator.

To sum it up, where can we find the best diving for a good price at locations between Phuket and Ko Tao without spending a fortune and too much time in transfer?
Phuket seems the most convenient but it is probably more crowded than 12y ago. I also don't quite trust the visibility and it seems comparatively pricey.
Maybe boat out to Phi Phi? Or rather around Ko Samui? Another simpler idea might be Ko Chang, how does it compare? So many questions... :)

Suggestions much appreciated.

Context:
We have limited time, from Aug 28th (from Chiang Mai incl transfer) to Sept 2nd (have to be at BKK that night)
This will be the conclusion of a backpacking trip across Indochina and we have only limited funds for luxury and pampering :)

Thanks a lot! :)

Various sources are wrong, the Andaman Sea offers year round better diving than the Gulf of Thailand.
The seaons have here (nearly) no effect on the visibility. The training sites used have good visibility year round, the other sites have unpredictable visibility year round.

Aug28- Sep 2 including travel time?

Means at you can dive for around 4 days. I'd consider skipping Koh Tao and staying as close to Bangkok as possible. Pattaya is reachable in about 2hrs by bus. Not the 'best' place but easier and cuts down travel time which really eats in to diving time.

If choosing between Phuket and Koh Tao- I'd choose Koh Tao in a heartbeat. There are some nice places in Phuket but I dislike the general vibe on the island.

Good point about travel time.

What general vibe on Phuket? Do agree with you Koh Tao is different, you must like that small island atmosphere considering your living environment.

Hi!

After cert I did my first open water dives in Phuket over a decade ago. It's time to come back!

My 1st question is regarding seasons - various sources say the Gulf is better than the Adaman Sea at this time of the year.
How does the visibility stand up? Does this have serious merit? Does it make a difference where to find large critters?

The 2nd is regarding training + diving. While I am a Divemaster, my friend is uncertified, which I intend to change by sending her to an Open Water course.
At the same time would I like to get some solid diving in. We can split for dives but ideally stay with the same operator.

To sum it up, where can we find the best diving for a good price at locations between Phuket and Ko Tao without spending a fortune and too much time in transfer?
Phuket seems the most convenient but it is probably more crowded than 12y ago. I also don't quite trust the visibility and it seems comparatively pricey.
Maybe boat out to Phi Phi? Or rather around Ko Samui? Another simpler idea might be Ko Chang, how does it compare? So many questions... :)

Suggestions much appreciated.

Context:
We have limited time, from Aug 28th (from Chiang Mai incl transfer) to Sept 2nd (have to be at BKK that night)
This will be the conclusion of a backpacking trip across Indochina and we have only limited funds for luxury and pampering :)

Thanks a lot! :)

The cheapest option for diving and training is Koh Tao, but the best diving will always be in the Andaman Sea. Personally I don't like KT, but I see you mention you are backpackers, KT seems to attract that type of tourist, so you may well have a different opinion on the place.
At best KT diving is mediocre, there are only a couple of good dive sites, boats are quite often very crowded, as are the dive sites, personally other than your cost consideration I would go to Phuket.

Without spending a fortune and no time in transfers or transfer costs then I would recommend Koh Tao.

It's a beautiful and friendly island and with your limited time you can do 4 dives in 1 day (2 in the morning, back for a quick lunch and then out for 2 more in the afternoon) and the cost for 4 dives is roughly the same for 2 out of Phuket.

The diving around Koh Tao is quite good (not as bad as some people make out) and it would be ideal for your friend.

I agree with supergajin, Phuket is not my kind of place either, much prefer the smaller Thailand Gulf islands.

Great points, thanks for your answers! Yes, we'll have around 4-5 days unless I manage to talk her into cutting some other stuff short and do more diving! :)

Good to hear that Phuket doesn't suffer too much from the monsoon as flying into Phuket is the most efficient option.
Chilling in Ko Tao would probably be my preference but given the situation we'll have to make some compromise and it takes probably a day to get there from Chaing Mai.

How does Phi Phi stack up as being an island closer to Phuket? There seem to be some operators that are ferrying folks to Phi Phi and already do dives on the way there and back.
Are there some more laid back 'villages' offering scuba a bit North of Phuket? It would be nice to get some beach time instead of being stuck in the city.
That said, we are more the $30 hotel than $170 resort type of folks. Maybe I'll have to scooter it once again...

Thanks / m

Have you considered Krabi? Direct flight from Bangkok and you can dive Phi Phi, the usual Phuket sites like King Cruiser, Shark Point and Anenome along with the local islands around Ao Nang. Much prefer the vibe at Krabi - Phuket is too in your face for me while Phi Phi is too backpacker and daytripper crowds - Tao even more backpacker dominated. If you are looking for laid back Krabi has lots to offer and you are also easily able to check out Railay beach.

Cool. So far skipped over Krabi but I'll give it a closer look. Thanks for the suggestion!

The North of Phuket isn't going to be the best option for a diving trip, it will cost you more than your hotel accommodation just for the transfers to the boat. If you do come to Phuket then I would suggest Kata Beach, it's a bit more laid back than other Phuket beach resorts and only 10 minutes from the pier and the pick up would be included in the price, no trouble finding accommodation in your budget range. You would have just enough time for your friend to complete her Open Water on Phi Phi - get the ferry on the 29th and the ferry back on the 1st in the afternoon after your diving. It will be cheaper to dive there and the really good dive sites are only a short boat ride away giving you the afternoon for some beach time. If you do spend anytime on the beach in Phuket make sure you pay attention to the warning flags, we can get some nasty rip currents at this time of year. Ferry schedules

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom