southern stingray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and one more

LinkPhoto

Jenny will remember this one from the "Noula Express"...

Here's a really buried one. I didn't know what it was until I was right on top of it. Someone pointed it out to me, so I knew it was something, but didn't know what until after I took the picture. That's when I realized I was lucky I hadn't touched it.

large.jpg

srmjohnson:
Great shot of the Grouper....here is a copy of it run through the 'mandrake' process, which helps when you don't have a strobe.

The mandrake process has been going through a considerable evolution, especially now that I have the full PhotoShop. How does this look, color-wise? I'd like to know your opinion.

newdiverAZ- thanks for the links and reliving the memories for me...Sapphire, you know I love that pic! It is so awesome! Thanks...mandrake, I think I downloaded that action a little while ago, do you mind posting link to it again so I know for sure I have it?

scuba_jenny:
newdiverAZ- thanks for the links and reliving the memories for me...Sapphire, you know I love that pic! It is so awesome! Thanks...mandrake, I think I downloaded that action a little while ago, do you mind posting link to it again so I know for sure I have it?

Jenny I never had anything to do with that action -- someone else created it. And I find the Channel Mixer and Selective Color tools, and a few other PS goodies, to be much more flexible than what I used to do in Elements, so I doubt I'd use the action even if I had it. Happy holidays!

Madrake, I think that looks much better. The original process was good, but I always felt it took a little too much of the blue out...your improved process seems to get the balance right, although I would like to see it across a number of different pics. Let us know when you happy with it :)

srmjohnson:
Madrake, I think that looks much better. The original process was good, but I always felt it took a little too much of the blue out...your improved process seems to get the balance right, although I would like to see it across a number of different pics. Let us know when you happy with it :)

I agree with you, I've seen the limitations of the original process. At best it wrecked the blue, and at worst it wrecked a few other things too (greens and purples didn't fare too well). There were some shots it worked extremely well on, and for PhotoShop Elements it wasn't a horrible compromise, but overall it's something I wish I had never mentioned.

The new process isn't really a process. It's a little different for every picture, as these things should be. And more and more I'm trying to do as little editing as possible, except on really bad photos where the choice is major surgery or throwing them away. But for putting a little red back into a picture, what I currently start out doing is to go into the Channel Mixer, and for color Red I increase the green slider somewhere between 50-150 percent, which greatly increases the red, and then protect my blue by decreasing the blue slider by 30-80%. This is a dangerous process also, easily overdone, and I try to be as conservative as possible, decreasing the blue until the water is close to its original color. I also move the Constant slider a tiny bit for colors Green and Blue if it helps. I then do levels/curves editing and lastly touch things up in the Selective Color tool, usually modifying Cyan, Blue, and Neutral as necessary to get the right look. I do plenty of other things too as necessary, but these are the main steps for any picture I didn't use my strobe on. I'm much happier with the results over what I was getting before. Complicated, but any process that can be made into an action is probably something you want to avoid.

My next goal is to get a better camera, and then hopefully a better photographer. :)

Back
Top Bottom