Southern Caribbean cruise need advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've done three cruises where I dived. I agree that most of the diving arranged through the cruise ship is geared toward the inexperienced divers. On the plus side, the schedule and diving is oriented toward the ship arrival and departure time (you don't have to worry about the dive boat leaving before you get there or the cruise ship stranding you in the middle of the cruise because the dive boat had problems). My favorite line as far as the diving is concerned is Princess. They had a dive master and two instructors on the cruise ship staff and we dove with them at each stop. Made it nice knowing the "staff" from previous stops. the cost of the dives arranged through the cruise line was comparable to that I could have gotten by arranging my own.

I am going on another Princess cruise in April and would appreciate any information anyone may have on diving in Majahual, Mx. It is a new stop for the cruise ships and the line does not appear to have diving options available for that stop.

Thanks

PS Always find Doc's posts interesting

richhagelin once bubbled...
I am going on another Princess cruise in April and would appreciate any information anyone may have on diving in Majahual, Mx. It is a new stop for the cruise ships and the line does not appear to have diving options available for that stop.

We will be on the Grand Princess Dec. 1 cruising the Western Caribbean. I'll check out Majahual and see if there is diving available. You may have to travel a little south to Costa Maya for it. I'll post under a Majahual Diving Subject header for you around Dec. 9th or 10th.

Check out www.cruise-addicts.com
They have all been on these cruises, and post trip reports and answer questions.

I, too, am going on Grand Princess, April 6th. I have checked into the options at Majahaul. It does not look good. I got good recommendations from Doc and followed them up. The recommended dive op in Majahaul (Maya Ha resort) says they do not take cruise ship folks when they are going out to the Banks (not enough time and too much hassle from the cruise ship pier folks).

The owner (John Shobe), can be reached at mayaharesort@aol.com. He said that he would e-mail me the day before arrival to let me know if they were not going out to the Banks (normally due to weather) and then would probably be able to accomodate me diving with them.

Additional information on contacting the dive operators in Majahaul is om travelyucatan.com (click on Costa Maya and then Scuba/Snorkel). There is a list of operators and telephone contacts.

Please let me know if you come up with a better option than Maya Ha Resort.

Rich

richhagelin once bubbled...

I was on Princess in April, stopping in Costa Maya. While we were unable to dive due to ocean conditions that day, I'd arranged dives through a local operator, Arturo. He has a shop in Majahual, and I understand he has recently upgraded his boat (previously didn't have a dive ladder). He can be reached at bucanero_caribe@yahoo.com.mx.

In talking with divers who have been fortunate enough to go out with him, they had nothing but raves, both about Arturo and the diving.

I, too, tried to book with Maya Ha Resort, and to say they were less than enthusiastic, communicative, or willing to work with me would be a severe understatement. They simply didn't want cruise ship passenger business.

Enjoy!

Amber

newbie in TN once bubbled...
My boyfriend and I are leaving on a Carnival Cruise Nov. 10th.

Any advice you have will be appreciated!!

Judging what's been happening on the ships down here lately, the best advice I can give is to be sure to wash you hands, and don't touch anything, anybody, or eat anything while on board. :D

Marc :jester:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom