South Maui Beaches Closed for 24 Hours

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shaka Doug

Contributor
Reaction score
Kihei, Maui, Hawaii 96753, middle of the 808!
# of dives
IMPORTANT NEWS:

I just got a call from a reputable source that the Keawakapu Beach in Kihei is closed for 24 hours (till noon tomorrow May 8) due to a Tiger shark. She said the beaches were "Closed to swimmers" to Kam 1 to the north, unsure about to the south but, I would figure, must include Ulua and Wailea. There are signs posted and a camera crew on the scene right now. She saw lots of police and other rescue squad activity but she did not know the extent of the situation. I'm sure there's more to come.....

Has anyone been out there today? I was planning on scooter diving the wreck from there tomorrow. Might have to change that...

Shaka Doug:
IMPORTANT NEWS:

I just got a call from a reputable source that the Keawakapu Beach in Kihei is closed for 24 hours (till noon tomorrow May 8) due to a Tiger shark. She said the beaches were "Closed to swimmers" to Kam 1 to the north, unsure about to the south but, I would figure, must include Ulua and Wailea. There are signs posted and a camera crew on the scene right now. She saw lots of police and other rescue squad activity but she did not know the extent of the situation. I'm sure there's more to come.....

Has anyone been out there today? I was planning on scooter diving the wreck from there tomorrow. Might have to change that...

Aloha Doug,

When our boat came in at 9:30 this morning, Buzz and the police were already there. Apparently, at 7:30 A.M. a guy on his stand up paddle board was paddling at Kamaole I when a shark came up behind him and started nudging his board. So, he came in to report it. Then at about 8 A.M. a lady was swimming off Keawakapu at about 75 yds out and she got bit by a shark. She has lacerations on her foot and puncture wounds on her calf. Not sure if its the same shark.

So, maybe you might have to re-schedule your scooter dive.

Take care.

I've heard from Wailea Point north to either Kam I or Kalama is closed until 9:30am due to the mentioned incident.

Tony was sighted at Ulua in 20' yesterday also.

Was it a Canadian?? I understand the Tigers love to snack on Canadians.....

Al Mialkovsky:
Was it a Canadian?? I understand the Tigers love to snack on Canadians.....
I believe it was a Californian. Apparently it just has to do with the first two and last three letters of the origination. Nobody claimed these guys could read! :D

I've dined on Californians myself, prefer Canadians.

Al Mialkovsky:
I've dined on Californians myself, prefer Canadians.
Yeah, I can understand that.

Those grain-fed tree huggers can be a little stringy. Us Canadians have some extra "padding" thanks to the colder climate and produce a juicier steak.

Kinda like the difference between the 30-year-old milk cow that stopped producing vs. the Kobe beef from Japan (beer-fed and massaged regularly). :D

In the interest of ensuring this post stays *somewhat* on-topic... :D

Here's the Maui News report:
http://www.mauinews.com/story.aspx?id=30317

Back
Top Bottom