South Florida Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MNDiverDan

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I will be in FL next month and looking for some dive recommendations. I will be in Ft. Lauderdale but am willing to drive anywhere, even thinking about Key West. Looking for some recommendations on the best areas to go. Should I stay around Ft. Lauderdale or drive somewhere in the Keys? Thanks in advance for your advice.

MNDiverDan

There is plenty to see and do in Fort Lauderdale. You could even travel a little farther North and dive Palm Beach.

I wouldn't drive down to the Keys just to dive, unless there was something specific that you wanted to see, like the Spiegel Grove.

When you get ready drop a note and I bet you can get some locals to dive with you.

Joe

MNDiverDan:
Hello,

I will be in FL next month and looking for some dive recommendations. I will be in Ft. Lauderdale but am willing to drive anywhere, even thinking about Key West. Looking for some recommendations on the best areas to go. Should I stay around Ft. Lauderdale or drive somewhere in the Keys? Thanks in advance for your advice.

MNDiverDan

Hello all. just came across this site today & joined. I am also interested in this topic. I am from Missouri & panning a trip to the palm beach, FL area in June.

Can anyone give any recommendations for a dive charter (*one day) in the West Palm Beach area?

Also, what kind of water temps should we expect in the middle of June in this area? What type of wet suit should we plan for?

Regards,
DDD

DDD,

What are you looking for?

Guided dives? Somewhere that will let you do your own thing?

Drift dives? Wrecks? Reefs?

The area you're talking about has all of that and more, so decide what's best for you.

As far as wet suits go, you'll likely find the water very warm to you, maybe low to mid-eighties by that time.

If you want to go to the Keys, check out Blue Water Divers in Key Largo (1 hour south from Miami, probably 2 hours from Fort Lauderdale).

Depending on how far ahead you book, you choose the dive spots. They can take you to the Spiegel Grove & the Duane, as well as the Molasses reef and French Reef, etc. They also do night dives if you have at least 4 people.

www.bluewaterdiver.net

No need to drive all the way down to Key West as the diving down there is not as good as in Key Largo!

J.

augie:
DDD,

What are you looking for?

Guided dives? Somewhere that will let you do your own thing?

Drift dives? Wrecks? Reefs?

The area you're talking about has all of that and more, so decide what's best for you.

As far as wet suits go, you'll likely find the water very warm to you, maybe low to mid-eighties by that time.

This is our first warm water trip after our open water certification. A guided, drift or reef dive would be best for our first trip to Fl. Nothing deeper than 100 feet.

We are doing a two tank dive in Jupiter FL on on one day and looking for a two or three tank dive on a Friday in Palm Beach area. Any tips on quality charters or operators in that area welcome.

Regards. DDD

Check out Pura Vida Divers on Singer Island (just north of WPB). They are very highly recommended on the board. We're looking into diving with them in Sept.

www.puravidadivers.com

J.

I have been out with Pura Vida and they were awesome. I would also recommend diving with Vicki (BaitedStorm) on Palm Beach Dive Charters. She is good people and will take care of you.

Joe

Thanks for all the input.

As far as the type of diving I like to do, I am fairly new to the sport, have about 15 dives. I do have my Advanced Open Water however. That being said, I would like to stay somewhat shallow (above 70'). The only warm water diving I have done has been in Hawaii, on reefs.

That being said, is it still best stay away from the keys for better diving? If so, I think I will stay put in the Ft. Lauderdale area. Who are the best people to book with in the area. I would like to stay local (FT. L area) rather than drive up to WPB.

Thanks agian for the help. Looking forward to some warm weather and warm water. 34 degrees in Minneapolis right now!!!

MNDiverDan

I have dove with American Dream II , Under Pressure , and Lady Go Diver . Each of these boats have good points and bad, but I would go with any of them again.

Under Pressure is a six pack. Great Captain and a laid back atmosphere. Lady Go Diver is a cattle boat, but there is plenty of space. American Dream is in the middle size wise and the crew is fantastic.

You may also want to hook up with some of the locals for a beach dive. Lauderdale-by-the-Sea is a great beach dive.

The Keys have fantastic diving. But in my opinion, you will get just as good in Fort Lauderdale. If you have never been down to the Keys, you may want to make the journey. It is not that far.

Also, depending on where you are staying, you can get to Splashdown Divers in Boynton within about 30 minutes. Great crew. ScubaKevDM and DiveSherpa work this boat and they are pretty cool. Kevin does have a contract with some of the animal population so you are pretty much guaranteed some cool aquatic life.

Just my opinion.

Good luck.

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom