South FLA Road Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I am putting this in the Non-Diving section, because this trip is not going to be just for diving. So I want some suggestions on things to do and see while we making our way from the panhandle to Key West.

Trip plan so far is south to FLL, from there through the keys, then back up the west coast. Our two main goals is to see Key West, and to get in the water with some manatees. Other than that, I would like to hear what's worth seeing while in the area.

(really should be in the S. Florida Conchs forum, that is where you will get the local info)
When are you going? How long is your trip? Those questions will help us help you.

Non diving.. hmmm. what do you like? Birding, environmental, Disneyesque, chillin' on the beach, shopping, dining...??

As far as manatees, Crystal River is the best, that's on the west coast.
Must do in Key West is the sunset at Mallory Square. Free. The street actors have to audition to get a spot there. Local and tourist attraction.
Also in Key West is the Hemingway House, the Audobon House and the Musesum of the wreck of the Atocha.

Take your time driving to Key West. There are lots of funky shops along the way along with beautiful scenery. Oh, and in the lower keys, heed the speed limits, especially at night where the key deer are.

Make sure you check out Venice, Nokomis and Englewood on your trip back up the gulf coast. Not the best for diving(unless you plan on shark hunting), but the culture and shopping is really enjoyable. Makes me miss living there:(

Oh and.....If you drive across Alligator Alley, be careful. It's not just a neat name for a road.

Scuba_Jenny:
(really should be in the S. Florida Conchs forum, that is where you will get the local info)

I thought about that, but feared having yet another thread moved.

Scuba_Jenny:
When are you going? How long is your trip? Those questions will help us help you.

leaving the 9th of Feb. I was abled to take ten days off from work.

Scuba_Jenny:
Non diving.. hmmm. what do you like? Birding, environmental, Disneyesque, chillin' on the beach, shopping, dining...??

NO DISNEY!!! MDB hates shopping, but some window shopping to get a feel for local culture is on the menu. I'll be taking my camera, and we both like nature, and history. I did a trip down that way as a kid with my dad. I remember stopping at raod side history places. Showing how the canals were dug, with some of the machinery still out to see. Are there any ghost towns? Stuff like that.

hopefully between now and then, there will be a pretty good selection of ideas here, to help us polish off our strictly planned and detailed itinerary (that we will ignore anyways).

The signs are down from Wilma letting you know of this resource, but as you pass through Alligator Alley, the Everglades Radio Network is on a couple radio stations http://www.dep.state.fl.us/ern/default2.htm
Tends to repeat if you cross the alley alot, but nice the first couple times.
Everglades National Park is an excellent place for birding. It can easily be a day trip on the way to the keys. Only like $10 per vehicle to enter. Camping available. Make sure you stop by the visitor center to find out what the "hot spots" are that day.
Ft. Myers has the Edison House.

When you get to Key West, do a day sail out to White Heron Wildlife Refuge and go kayaking.

Do some fishing in Islamorada

Someone say ROAD TRIP?

While in Key West the day trip to Fort Morgan might be worth it. It's an all day trip I think on a fast ferry. Not super cheap, but you'll get to see the Dry Tortugas somewhat.

Key West is neat to visit. Lots of 'interesting' people there. It's mostly a tourist party town though. While you can dive there, I think you'll find the diving farther up the keys more enjoyable.

There's campgrounds all through there if you're taking the shiney-box-on-wheels with you. Several in Key Largo. I wouldn't reccomend pulling it into downtown Key West as some of the streets are narrow when cars are parked along them, making maneuvering tight.

Like ScubaJennifer said, check out the Kayaking. Next time I'm in Key West I'd be interested in doing a kayak through the mangroves over diving most likely.

BTW... going down and back the turnpikes are really nice. lots less traffic. However you pay tolls per axle, so something to consider.

In Islamorada, see about eating dinner at sunset at the Islamorada Fish Market. You eat a fish basket on the docks, but it's really relaxing to sit and sip a beer and watch the sunet. At sunset, they take all the fish scraps for the day and feed them to the sharks. The sharks and tarpon will eat right out of the feeders hands on the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom