south africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what I can gather you gonna be based in the Durban Area, so then diving Aliwal Shoal would be ideal for you. I have often dived with Aliwal Dive Charters, and from my experiences run a pretty good operation. I think they also arrange Game Drives and those sort of outtings. But that been said pretty much all the operators down there are of a good standard.
The shoal doesn't have the coral splendours like Sodwana but some of the fish life certainly makes up for that. Large Potato Bass, Sand sharks, rays..etc. There are also a 2 popular wreck sites which can be dived.

I have not unfortunately dived in or around durban but you could try diving around Umhlanga Rocks, the operator for that region is Dive Nautique, maybe send them a mail & find out what attractions they have in the region.

Also maybe you could try dive in the Durban Aquarium. I think you can even feed the sharks in the shark tank.

Unless you like long early morning drives then give Protea Banks a try. Its about 90kms from Durban to Shelly Beach (Launching Spot). Here sharks definately take the forefront. If you gonna dive here make sure you are confortable with depth (most dives below 32m) and I would recommend a Nitrox qualification to get your moneys worth when it comes to bottom time.
Try African Odyssea run by Trevor Krull.

Hopefully I my response is not too late. But enjoy the diving anyways.

stallion:
There are also a 2 popular wreck sites which can be dived.

Dives are going out each weekend lately to the Produce and Nebo wrecks. The Produce is known for the resident Brindle Bass (+/-300kg) population. The Nebo has Pineapple Fish, but it is more of a fairweather dive than the Produce.

stallion:
I have not unfortunately dived in or around durban but you could try diving around Umhlanga Rocks, the operator for that region is Dive Nautique, maybe send them a mail & find out what attractions they have in the region.

Friends of mine dived with Dive Nautique two weeks ago. They dived the T-Barge (an artificial reef) and were visited by a Whale Shark on their safety stop! I keep meaning to get around to an Umhlanga dive and this is certainly a reason to do it. However, this is not the norm, so don't expect to see this shark!

stallion:
Also maybe you could try dive in the Durban Aquarium. I think you can even feed the sharks in the shark tank.

You won't be able to do these dives until the opening of the new aquarium in Durban - uShaka Aquarium. This is due to open in April-ish.

Gurselen, to answer your original question, the visibility at the moment is around the 12-20m area. We are getting some cold currents at the moment (don't know why). I had the dubious honour of diving in 16degC water last weekend! But this is the exception. Average water temperature at the moment is between 21 and 23degC.

And, yes, the diving is exciting down here!

Cheers,

Andrew

ShoalDiverSA:
Gurselen, to answer your original question, the visibility at the moment is around the 12-20m area. We are getting some cold currents at the moment (don't know why). I had the dubious honour of diving in 16degC water last weekend! But this is the exception. Average water temperature at the moment is between 21 and 23degC.

And, yes, the diving is exciting down here!

Cheers,

Andrew

Jeez Andrew, you should be diving in Cape Town at the moment...

While the vis has been in the 20m+ area, it's been the usual 8-10degree stuff!! We had a good, but not great dive on the wreck of the Aster in Hout Bay (vis about 4m). However on the second dive, on the Oakburn, which is literally 15 minutes by boat around the corner near Sandy Bay, the vis was about 15 meters. It's interesting how conditions can be so different in sites which are really close together.

Just got back from diving in Gaansbaai in South Africa.... without a cage!

Marine life there is awsome. Incase anyone is going to Capetown soon and wondering where to dive I would rate it very highly... the water is warm compared to Capetown and you can dive in kelp forests, with cape fur seals... we had a huge sting ray swim by us, 2 seals came to play and an explosion of life all around including nudibranchs galore, abalone, lobsters, crabs, many colours of sea anemone, urchins, sponges, little kelp sharks, starfish, octopi.... man it was awsome. Many people will tell you that Gaansbaai is just for cage diving with great white sharks... but that's simply untrue.

If anyone in interested in diving in this fantastic spot, only an hour and a half away from Cape Town I would reccomend going with Fred de Pauw. I will go get his website and add it here later, as I don't have it here now....

Or PM me if you want more info.

We did not see any Great Whites.... (thankfully! I think that would have freaked me out a little).

Lisa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom