South Africa - October (wet or dry?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi all!

I will with 5 buddies travel down to South Africa in October. We will (hopefully) see the White (from within a cage) and encounter tiger sharks (no cage). :eyebrow:

I have a drysuit (pressed neoprene, i.e. heavy) and a 5 mm wetsuit. I have an idea that the 5mm is too thin and the drysuit MIGHT be too much (or?). Is there anybody who can advice me there? :D

Ciao!
Menno (a.k.a. Tijgerhaai)

Hi all!

I will with 5 buddies travel down to South Africa in October. We will (hopefully) see the White (from within a cage) and encounter tiger sharks (no cage). :eyebrow:

I have a drysuit (pressed neoprene, i.e. heavy) and a 5 mm wetsuit. I have an idea that the 5mm is too thin and the drysuit MIGHT be too much (or?). Is there anybody who can advice me there? :D

Ciao!
Menno (a.k.a. Tijgerhaai)

Hi Menno, nice to hear you and your buddies are visiting South Africa!! I presume you are going to cage dive Great White sharks in Gansbaai in the Cape province? If so you are in time for the whale season in Hermanus close to Gansbaai, which happens during October. Have a look at this link for your Great White diving:

Shark Diving South Africa Tours Great White Sharks Pictures

For Tiger shark diving I recommend the Natal South coast, south of Durban. Have a look at this link for your Tiger shark diving:

Protea Banks Shark Diving with African Dive Adventures

In the Cape province the Atlantic ocean is much colder than the Indian ocean in Natal province. I have been diving in the Cape as well as Natal with a 5mm wetsuit. However, in the Cape I was wearing a hood and gloves as well, whereas in Natal I am diving without a hood and gloves. For me a 5mm wetsuit is fine for diving in the Cape or Natal. I personally think a drysuit is a bit much, but I am not really affected much by cold water. I have had dives with buddies in 23 degree celcius water complaining about the cold!!

Remember during your cage diving you will not be diving deep. You will be on the surface where the water is not that cold. The cage diving operator can always supply you with additional insolation if necessary.

Hoping this is helpfull to you.

I would consider diving dry if you are to dive Cape waters. I've also dived those waters with wetsuits and, like Theunis said, you can manage with extra exposure protection but if you want to be comfortable then I'd say go it dry - there's no need to be uncomfortable. Theunis is right, on the east coast you should be fine with a wetsuit.

If you do go to the east coast and you are ever in the area of Umkomaas, just south of Durban where you'd likely be going if you were to go diving Protea Banks, check out Barry and Celia Coleman's operation at Meridian Dive Centre. They have an awesome operation going down there and we've had amazing shark dives with them out to Aliwal Shoal and Protea Banks. They are also pretty involved with shark conservation and eco-tourism to promote the protection of marine life like sharks.

I hope you have an awesome trip and have a lot of fun! Come tell us all about your dives when you get back. :coffee:

Some good advice, but consider that you will be diving in a cage in Cape Town. If you go the drysuit way you will need plenty of weight. The viewing from inside the cage is done on breathold, some operators may offer you a surface supply. Just thinking of the buoyancy issue with a crushed neoprene suit. May be better to hire a 7mm wetsuit for the day in Cape Town.

The 5mm will be fine for the Tigers.

Hope you have a great trip !!!

Gosh ... whenever I look at pictures or clips on Youtube my stomach does react. Those tigers look ... you know ... leathal. ;-) People do get attacked eventhough the stats (what you always hear) compared to driving in your car are well known. Eventhough ... I still feel it's a Russian Roulette thing. All my friends say (non divers and divers): "What, you got kid nr. 2 on the way?! Shouldn't you be a little bit more responsible?!".

Now I wish I had a big camera (not a small Olympus - Mju: 725) so I could keep those Tigers away. Maybe I should dive with a big stick (or with my mega Kowalski ha,ha!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom