Source of leak & ankle weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a weight belt. I read a post that felt snow boot liners help in reducing the amount of space created when the neoprene material expands in the boot. I'll try that this weekend.

I would assume the manufacturer installed the inflator valve properly but I will look into it. Thank you.

The valves that I have seen installed wrong have been installed by Bare themselves (the manufacturer). I dive an XCD2 made by Bare and when I got it last year the inflate valve was installed by them like how I described to you (the wrong way) so don't assume that it is installed the correct way, just because it has come to you direct from the manufacturer. You will have to take the valve apart to check it, if you don't feel comfortable taking it apart yourself take it into your LDS and get them to check it for you. If you take it into your LDS get them to show you what they are doing so you can learn to do some of these sorts of things for yourself.

Sprinter:
Yes, it was my first dive on a new suit. Is there a break-in period?

Ahhh, well sort of. Diving dry is a whole nother critter. It will take you a few dives to get the hang of everything. Just keep on plugging & you'll get it. Ankle weights will help. You will probally get to the point that you don't need them but if they help "NOW", use them. Heavier ones will help more.

Sprinter:
The sensation of air in my boots makes me wonder if there is any danger of the boots popping off my foot. Is this possible?

It has happened. When this guy I know did his second drysuit dive, he was feet up, head down, rising sort of rapidly towards the surface from a "too deep for a second drysuit dive" depth . He was finning hard towards the bottom to stop his ascent. His right foot came out of his boot & he couldn't get his foot to go back in. He did the "scrunch & roll" (with one fin) & got turned right side up. He then vented air (too much) & headed to the bottom. As he realized that he was sinking, he started adding air. Too little, too late. BOOOOM!!! into the bottom muck & mud. Looked like the mushroom cloud from an atomic bomb down there. His dive buddy and his instructor never even noticed he was missing. After I regained,XXXXXX I meant, after "HE" regained his composure, he got adjusted correctly & proceded with his dive vowing NEVER to use that instructor again.

James

Hardhat,
Your hunch was right. The teflon ring was installed on the outside! How on earth this passed their quality control is beyond me. I will be doing more diving this weekend so I will look forward to being dryer.

Cheers.

You are welcome. Let us know how you make out. I think you'll be happy with your suit. Just make sure that the inflate and the exhaust valves are snugged up pretty good. Have a good week-end diving.

3 dives in 30' and came out from a truly dry drysuit dive! Awesome. Thanks to Hardhat for sharing his experience. Too bad Bare doesn't monitor this forum as they can learn something about QC :)

As I reached upwards to grab a line, I did get a shock of cold water down my wrist. I guess that's one thing I must avoid doing :)

With 28 lbs of lead, I did feel a bit overweighted on a full 80 cu. although when I switched to an al 72 cu. I was a bit buoyant. I'm planning to go for 26 lbs. on an 80 cu for next weekend to see if it still works.

Thanks to all who pitched in!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom