Source of leak & ankle weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I used my Bare CD4 drysuit with bell-shaped latex seals this weekend. After the first dive, I noticed the woolies were damp on my shoulders, neck & sternum. By the second dive, my sleeves and groin were damp. By the 3rd dive, my socks were soaked. It wasn't as bad as I've seen in others but it was definitely leaking.

I suspect it's the neck seal but I'll continue to use it the next 2 weekends and observe further. Any suggestion what I should be doing?

Another question:
Whenever I swam horizontally, my boots tend to float upwards. I have 1lb. ankle weights and wonder if increasing it to 2 or 3 lbs will help?

Thanks.

Sprinter:
I used my Bare CD4 drysuit with bell-shaped latex seals this weekend. After the first dive, I noticed the woolies were damp on my shoulders, neck & sternum. By the second dive, my sleeves and groin were damp. By the 3rd dive, my socks were soaked. It wasn't as bad as I've seen in others but it was definitely leaking.

I suspect it's the neck seal but I'll continue to use it the next 2 weekends and observe further. Any suggestion what I should be doing?

Another question:
Whenever I swam horizontally, my boots tend to float upwards. I have 1lb. ankle weights and wonder if increasing it to 2 or 3 lbs will help?

Thanks.

What kind of seals do you have?

What kind of boots are on the suit? If they're atttached boots you may want to look into fin keepers and possibly gaitors. The fin keepers work wonders for attached boots. Also, are you diving your suit with minimal air? If you have to much air traveling around in there it will cause all sorts of problems.

-Chris

Sprinter:

Another question:

Thanks.

Were these your first dives on the suit?

I have latex seals.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into them.

Yes I am adding air only to ease the squeeze as I use a BCD. The sensation of air in my boots makes me wonder if there is any danger of the boots popping off my foot. Is this possible?

Sprinter:
I have latex seals.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into them.

Yes I am adding air only to ease the squeeze as I use a BCD. The sensation of air in my boots makes me wonder if there is any danger of the boots popping off my foot. Is this possible?

Well, the fin keepers (also called Fin Grippers) will eliminate that issue.

As for the seals, how does the fit of the latex neck seal feel? It may be too loose. Are you pushing the seal all the way down to the base of your neck? That may help. Are you having your buddy check the seal before the dive? Some people have also mentioned that turning your head too much during the dive could cause leaking especially if you have a skinny neck.

Yes, it was my first dive on a new suit. Is there a break-in period?

When I first put it on, I felt too much pressure from my neck seal specially along my carotid causing my face to become flushed after a few minutes. I trimmned about 1/16" off first but it was still too tight. I did it again before it felt bearable.

I didn't push the seal all the way down though. I had my buddy check to make sure it wasn't folded. I heard about turning one's head too much so I did try not to move without my shoulders following along.

Thanks for your help guys.

Take a look at your inflate valve, I have seen some inflate valves installed with the teflon ring on the out side of the suit. This ring is ment to be on the inside of the suit. You will need to unscrew the valve and remove the ring from the outside of the suit. When you are reinstalling the valve make sure you put the ring on the inside half of the valve , as this ring enables you to tighten the valve properly. If this is how your inflate valve is installed (with the ring on the outside of your suit) it will leak slowly like you discribed.

Sprinter:
Yes, it was my first dive on a new suit. Is there a break-in period?

When I first put it on, I felt too much pressure from my neck seal specially along my carotid causing my face to become flushed after a few minutes. I trimmned about 1/16" off first but it was still too tight. I did it again before it felt bearable.

I didn't push the seal all the way down though. I had my buddy check to make sure it wasn't folded. I heard about turning one's head too much so I did try not to move without my shoulders following along.

Thanks for your help guys.

I think your supposed to fold the neck seal. I do with the rental suit that I wear.

Seal folding is a neoprene thing, I believe, not latex.

With regards to floaty feet:

Do you use a weight belt or something else (integrated, harnes, etc?)

With a belt, my feet are fine, with integrated weights, I need ankle weights as the air migrates more without a belt.

Dom

Back
Top Bottom