Source for weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh man, where is the love???

I LOVE Craigslist :wink: Well and the money in my pocket.

Just this month I got a free woodstove, with a replacement value of $4,700, in near perfect hardly used condition. 4 cords of FREE wood, although I had to buck it. Over the years I have bought a ton of junk off of CL, and sold quite a bit too.

NEVER try to melt battery lead!! Acid coated lead is toxic and can spatter when melted.

NEVER try to melt battery lead!! Acid coated lead is toxic and can spatter when melted.

It is coated in H2SO4 a.k.a. sulfuric acid. It is nasty stuff but you can just (slowly, I cannot stress doing this slowly enough, the neutralization reaction will create heat, add too much at once and it will boil and splatter, you don't want that) pour in soda ash to neutralize it. Then just rise the lead in water collecting the white Lead (II) Sulfate chips / powder.

It is not particularly dangerous as long as you wear eye protection / gloves and a mask (to keep lead dust out)
Sorry, should have posted that earlier.
I am probably desensitized to this kind of "danger" due to my summer job involving cyanide detoxification, working with organics, and doing high pyro-metallurgy.

Upon further reading I would say only use battery lead if you have no other options. If you went to your local junk yard you could easily get scrap lead. I have also heard you can get lead from auto repair places as lead is used to balance tires.

Car shops carry old tire weights, gun ranges carry spent lead. The easiest way is to go on Ebay and buy pure lead ingots and smelt at home. I have weight molds varying from 1-6 pounds I bought from a closing dive shop. I heat the molds on an old sheet pan on a old BBQ grill, smelt pure lead in an old pot, pour smelted pure lead in the molds, and dunk into a 5 gallon bucket of water. They come out pretty good. Who can afford going to their LDS and spending $4-$10 a pound on hard lead weights/coated lead weights/or soft shot weight.......

This thread just became ridiculous. He probably needs 20lbs at most to cover any configuration and that of a buddy....some things just aren't worth the hassle.

And the easiest way to go is get properly trimmed then just go buy the weight.

I see new OW divers with 20lbs on them because their instructor was too lazy to getnthem properly weighted. So they load em up.... I have taken 10lbs of these divers in 10 minutes...

That's what you get when you take $199 class with 20 other people...you get to buy a lot of extra lead...and wonder why it so exhausting to carry all your crap...

Last edited:
Thanks to all who responded! The thread was posted for one of the divers in our group. He made contact with one of the sources posted in the responses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom