SOT Kayak and rebreathers/doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to worried about falling over board and drowning with a drysuit. The suit would be on while paddling out. Keep in mind the diving here in the PNW only really takes of in the winter time when the algae blooms clear up and the vis goes back to normal, that and it often rains/snows when we are diving. In the summer here it ranges from 10-30 feet on average, and that is not clear vis, that is chunky particulate, not enjoyable dive conditions nor when I really like to dive off a kayak then andtry to find the anchor for it when I am done. Now even if one fell over board with the suit undone/unzipped, you would not sink to the bottom, actually even if your hands were tied up you would float. The suits are all buoyant even when full of water head to toe, and water weighs nothing. You would have to remove the suit or cut the legs open to get back on the kayak however if you did fall over board. It is the same with hip waders, go flood them in the river and swim around, there is not issue with this and you will not sink. Unless you are wearing the over boots which are negatively buoyant, then you will really have to work to stay a float. Your biggest issue would be suffering from hypothermia as the water temps in the winter hover around 40 degree's in the water and surface temperas general around freezing temps.

The old OK Scupper Pro TW will carry two tanks, one rigged in the back and one in the forward hold. It actually rides better with some forward weight. However, having both tanks in the same location, hmmmm, no. Now, I have changed them out, while at sea, it is a little cumbersome. I would think any number of the larger kayaks would handle a rebreather. The real issue is getting geared up without drowning. If you got your arms or legs tied up getting in and out of a suit and you capsize, well, not fun. All of my experience, which is I am a SOT beginner, I am in a rash guard and shorts, maybe a neoprene zip vest. N

Yeah that is pretty much the same technique I have used in the past when snorkelling off kayaks in the Caribbean, etc. I'm pretty sure I am going to forgo diving off the kayak with doubles and more then likely a rebreather. Seems to be just over complicating things and if I really want to dive off the kayak I can use a side mount system to do it.

Here is how I get the SCUBA back aboard. First I doff and tether my rig, wing inflated, and I get myself in the boat (strong scissor kick and push up grabbing to the opposite gunwale and sliding in on my belly) and then remove my fins secure my fins and mask and all the other items I might have. Then, I flip around facing the tank well and with my feet hanging over the opposite side of the yak that the SCUBA is tethered, reach down and grab the SCUBA and heave it into the tank well and at the same time rotating my legs/feet into the yak. The SCUBA winding up between my legs (if all goes well). There are probably better ways and mine is a work in progress for sure.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom