Sorted for Truk, Questions for Palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I am off to Truk & Palau in April.
I am booked on the Truk Odyssey 13-20th Apr.

My questions are for Palau.
It just so happens the Ocean hunter 1 is empty for the dates I will be in Palau so I am not sure whether to do shore based or live aboard.
The Odyssey will be my 1st live aboard trip .
The big advantage with OH1 is only 6 divers.
Not too concerned about price as my flights are free. More concerned about being on a smallish boat if conditions are not great.

My questions
  • How long does it take to travel from dive shops to the outer reef. (Leave shore 8 am, 1st dive 10.00?, SI 11-12 , 2nd dive 12.30-1.30 lunch then 3rd dive)
  • How sheltered is the outer reefs if on liveaboard. Do liveaboards anchor in sheltered locations in the evenings.
  • If doing 3 dives a day shore based is the 1st 2 dives normally at the outer reef then 1 dive on the way back to shore.
  • Anybody been on the OH1, it’s a small boat, max 6 divers. Any comments.
  • Are the days boats ok for spending a day on .i.e enough room for cameras, bags,shade etc
Really looking forward to Chuuk. I am unsure about Palau

Hi,

I am off to Truk & Palau in April.
I am booked on the Truk Odyssey 13-20th Apr.

My questions are for Palau.
It just so happens the Ocean hunter 1 is empty for the dates I will be in Palau so I am not sure whether to do shore based or live aboard.
The Odyssey will be my 1st live aboard trip .
The big advantage with OH1 is only 6 divers.
Not too concerned about price as my flights are free. More concerned about being on a smallish boat if conditions are not great.

My questions
  • How long does it take to travel from dive shops to the outer reef. (Leave shore 8 am, 1st dive 10.00?, SI 11-12 , 2nd dive 12.30-1.30 lunch then 3rd dive)
  • How sheltered is the outer reefs if on liveaboard. Do liveaboards anchor in sheltered locations in the evenings.
  • If doing 3 dives a day shore based is the 1st 2 dives normally at the outer reef then 1 dive on the way back to shore.
  • Anybody been on the OH1, it’s a small boat, max 6 divers. Any comments.
  • Are the days boats ok for spending a day on .i.e enough room for cameras, bags,shade etc
Really looking forward to Chuuk. I am unsure about Palau

Yes, day boats take a looooong time to get out to the outer reefs each day. From our liveaboard, the Eco Explorer, we had literally 5 minute boat ride to the best dives. The boat has a mooring in German Channel and stayed there most of the week while we dove off skiffs. The boat has a vibration while running, but other than that you can't tell you are on a boat - no need to find a sheltered harbor at night. The Ocean Hunter was out near us achored every night hooked to one of the dive site moorings so a bit closer to shore.

Palau diving is absolutely amazing and will be very different than Truk. Check out my trip report: Palau on the Eco Explorer - Dec 2007

robin:D

Yes the trip from the land based operators to the outer reefs is quite long. The trips are around 1 hr. Typically you will do two dives then return to shore; third dives can be arranged and depending on the group's desire, can be just about anywhre. There are many interesting sites that are not on the outer reef - wrecks, chandelier cave, etc. Although, I like the idea of the short trips to the best dive sites that a liveaboard offers; you can dive all of the same sites from a land-based operator & you have more top-side choices to entertain you in the evening. Since the diving is basically the same, it is really a personal preference - do you want to trade longer boat rides for more topside options.

Yes the trip from the land based operators to the outer reefs is quite long. The trips are around 1 hr. Typically you will do two dives then return to shore; third dives can be arranged and depending on the group's desire, can be just about anywhre. There are many interesting sites that are not on the outer reef - wrecks, chandelier cave, etc. Although, I like the idea of the short trips to the best dive sites that a liveaboard offers; you can dive all of the same sites from a land-based operator & you have more top-side choices to entertain you in the evening. Since the diving is basically the same, it is really a personal preference - do you want to trade longer boat rides for more topside options.

I agree. There is not much to do after the days' diving. Boat rides through the Pearl Islands are part of the experience. We dove with Neco Marine 2 years ago and are going back this year.

If you have not decided yet I would book with Ocean Hunter. We were on the II last year and loved it. I toured the OH1 and it's nice. It is a motor/sailor so it is a little tight but if you want to dive, dive, dive Ocean Hunter is the way to go. We have a trip report/slideshow/gallery at our website: AQUABLUE DREAMS

Yes, do the LOB if at all possible. The difference is 4-5 dives a day vice 2-3 dives a day and no long boat rides. As others have said, not much to do on Palau in the way of night life anyhow unless you like karaoke.

Hi,

[*]How sheltered is the outer reefs if on liveaboard. Do liveaboards anchor in sheltered locations in the evenings.

My wife and I just spent New Years on the Odyssey...7 wonderful days.

Let me tell you the crew is amazing.....Maddy...Kent...Sam...JJ....Captain Mike....and all the others...great crew.

Now down to the basics.

This was our first live aboard and it was great. If you ever get motion sick...do not worry you will be fine...take natural Ginger pills daily...works great.

The boat is always in a protected area and even when we had a night of 3 foot waves...no problem..the boat is very stable.
In fact the whole of Truk is protected from the winds..that is why it was so great for a Japanese naval base.

if it does look like it is going to get rough the captain will move the boat..but he never did.

Also the Oddessey is the only boat that anchors directly over the wrecks.....they have places special moorings in the ocean floor that allows them to be directly over the wreck without doing any possible damage to the wreck...that way you step off the boat into the water....no runabout skiffs to worry about.

You are going to have a great time.....if you want any more info...just ask...I got great pictures of the boat and crew

Back
Top Bottom