Sorry to report a missing diver, over 24 hours now out of Jupiter, FL.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't access the spearboard site. It must be blocked by my server here at work. I would appreciate any updates concerning this. I hope she is found.

Search continues

This is the last from spearboard.com from a post by Dragginfish:
Coast Guard is still at it!! 11:29am 9/26/07

I spoke to the Coast Guard Public Relations. and was informated that the search for Nikki Continues.

A Mr. Dias & Ms Johnson, both confirmed the following:

They currently have

1 helicopter up in the air Searching
1 - C-130 in the air Searching
1 - Cutter - The kingfisher out to sea searching
1 - small aircraft (Falcon) in flight searching

There is still hope.

Thank you to all those that give and have given your time funds and resources

Sincerely

Keith

There are many divers out there looking personally using their own vehicles and time also.
Search for Nikki Please Pray for Nikki - Spearboard Spearfishing Community

I will keep looking for information as it comes available.

Pray for Nikki's safe return!
Carolyn:sharks:

Hopes and prayers, I'm amazed at the outpouring of support for the search

***MR Bubbles comments have been removed***** SBSTAFF

I almost hesitate to even ask, but what exactly are you trying to prove??

Have you even bothered to read the threads on Spearboard?? Many of the questions are answered there.

Nikki was a personal friend to many of us, so I apologize if I am coming off as harsh, but it has been a rough few days for many of us....

I'm sure you can understand.

Scott

What difference does it make it information is given out on this board or a different one? I never even know the other board existed until I read this thread. Maybe someone else who is only familiar with this site has access to resources that could be used in the search. I am going to call some Pilot instructors I know at Embry Riddle to see if they can offer any assistance.

Most of their student planes are not equipped to venture to far over the ocean but I know they have some that are set up for water landings. I flew from St. Augustine to New Smyrna with a friend who is a pilot and we could make out people in the water very easily. I just hope she is found soon.

No more posts from me. Just Prayers

In a nutshell, this is the story as told by the guy who owns the boat:

2:30 PM - Nikki and Tony C. are dropped on mark L105 (which means Lobster spot 105 feet deep)

3:00 PM - Tony C. comes up under the float balls he is carrying on a bearing of 184 degrees to the drop mark and a distance of .9 miles. That bearing and distance I am sure of because I know how important that info is for looking for the other diver in high currents because I could see she was not with him.

3:15-25 PM - we expect Nikki up on the surface later than Tony because she has a bigger tank. We are still scanning the area for her marker buoy which she made a point of having us look for before going in the water. I asked her if she had a reel with it and she said she had a 20-30 foot line for deployment of the buoy beneath the surface which is good. She had deployed it on the first dive.

3:30 PM or so - we spot our friends on a sport fish boat diving just north of us and go over to ask their help looking for her marker buoy. I especially want their help because they are so much higher up on their bridge to seeing marker buoys at great distance while I am closer to the waterline in my boat.

3:45 PM or so - both boats are making slow search circles for her marker buoy and we expand the search wider with me to the north and the sportfish boat to the south.

4:00-15 PM or so - I discuss with the sportfish boat and I make the decision to call the Coast Guard and do so. Both boats continue searching. I did not want to wait too long before calling for USCG help as they can do a Pon Pon broadcast on channel 16 and notify all boats in the area. Lost diver radio reports are a frequent occurrance in our area due to the currents and the number of charter boats and private boats diving.

4:30 PM or so - other boats also join in the search based on my channel 16 call well before the Coast Guard boat arrives. For example, our friend Captain Mike Newman of Dykoki boat searched late into the night with us.

I called just now to our diver Tony Crumrine who is a charter boat captain to verify this approximate timeline and he agrees. Tony will be captaining Randy Jordan's Charter boat Emerald Diver tomorrow for their search. I can double check the timing estimates with the sportfish boat divers tomorrow, but I am pretty sure this is close.

Thanks,
My intent was not to cause harm. I only wanted to shed light on a subject that I carred about. I thought my many years as a US NAVY SAR swimmer, and subsequent contributions would help in the SAR effort. My appologies to anyone whom I may have offended.

Mr. B

Good morning y'all! Still no news to report on Nikki, but the search still continues. Here is a recent post from spearboard.com from SPEARMAX 9/27/07 @6:18am:

Search efforts are still going on the surface and underwater. I met with Nikki's parents Bob and Pat for several hours late yesterday and they re-affirmed their desire to continue this two-pronged approach which we have been doing from day one. They are amazingly strong people whose positive spirit and realistic approach should be an inspiration to us all. I have a daughter who is a diver and I can imagine how much this hurt and pain must be for them. It is extemely difficult for all of us in the diving community.

There has been no finding of additional clues underwater other than the loaded speargun the day before yesterday. The aerial surface area that has been searched is vast as is the underwater area. There has been very good reports on other posts about the aerial search maps.

To give you some idea of what has been going on underwater, I created the attached map of the ocean floor which is integrated with GPS and indicates just a few of the many underwater search patterns that have been done. Other searching boats have different search marks on their GPS. These points are some of mine.

The top of the map is to the north. each photo overlaps each other for reference. the numbers indicate start, progrees and stop points in search patterns. Again, these are just examples, not all the searches that have been done. The bottom of the map is shown as a reference of the area's location to the world famous "Hole in the Wall" swim-through which is quite a way upcurrent of the diving location. the dark black line through the middle is the Hole-in the Wall ledge which turns slightly to the west as you go north from the hole swim-through. Some of the names of locations are pre-existing names. The new one's are Nikki's drop point and Nikki's gun found location. These maps are valuable for choosing search locations.

Searching underwater is difficult and the search area is large. We have sought and been acquiring additional professional resources for that effort and diving will continue for the coming days. Advanced and technical diving volunteers are the most qualified to do this searching.

Nikki's parents and I want to thank all the generous people who have offered help in diving. I apologize to people to whom I or anyone else involved in coordinating have not been able to respond to because organizing this effort is very difficult and time-consuming.

Nikki's Dad Bob said we do not want anyone getting hurt in this search effort. He and Pat are amazed at how the diving community has responded because as advanced divers themselves they hear of missing divers from time to time.

Nikki's parents also said they want the donations to continue as well for the searching in the air, on the surface and underwater. They are very appreciative of everyone's contributions big and small.

I am leaving now and wish everyone good luck today whether in the air, on the surface or underwater. Thanks, Tony
Attached Images
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

We can only keep praying for a miracle and a happy ending. Never give up hope! A huge amount of thanks to everyone who is giving so much to help the search! That is what the diving community should do for it's own, it's the best family to be a part of!

My prayers continue for Nikki and the safety of the teams of searchers!
Carolyn:sharks:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom