Sorry but I just have to ask . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're looking for diving only, Kona side of the Big Island. Good diving just about anywhere you can get in the water if you are a shore diver, lots of great diving without a long bumpy ride if you are diving by boat. Relatively little sand, even less soil, near the water in most areas, so viz is amost always good to great except on the worst of days.

Back in the early 80's (and later too, I worked in the pet trade and owned an aquarium shop back on the mainland for numerous years - just swim in the world's biggest aquarium these days) I was really into the marine aquarium fish hobby. In spring of '83 I came over and visited a fish wholesaler out somewhere in Pearl City on Oahu and talked the fish biz for an hour or so. He mentioned that most of the actual fish collecting was done in Kona 'cause that's where the fish are.

Anyway, each island has it's charm. Maui's pretty good, but the onshore diving I've done didn't have what I'd consider to be great viz or reefs. Lanai is a lot like Kona, maybe a bit light on the reefs on the dives I did, but great structure and deep water nearby, but it's a long bumpy ride. The crescent ends of Molokini are very nice, I especially like the sharks we saw when I've dove there and the back wall's cool, but I'm not personally keen on doing the same dives over and over and over. The little diving I did on Oahu was very unsatisfying... all out of Hawaii Kai by Koko head, I haven't done the west side stuff. Never have done Kauai, but I hear Ni'ihau is great (fairly advanced, not for newer divers) from friends who go over every couple years just to dive it.

I've been to Hawaii twice, but never did any diving (lots of snorkeling!). My favorite island is the Big Island on the Kona side so I'm happy to read that it's good diving. I want to go back to Hawaii for my 50th birthday next year! I just love Hawaii and the people there. Lots of great memories for me!

ask 10 people, you'll get 10 answers :D each Island has something going for it. Are you looking for something in particular?

Kauai - because of Niihau (trips suspended in winter due to swells) ... incredible diving ... a "wow" drift to the field of leather coral; vertical walls to the abyss ... big fish, little fish, blue fish, red fish, lotta fish, rare fish ... Niihau has it all. Via Seasport Divers (excellent operation; safe; knowledgeable and personable) and the Alena Kai. Long ride out but worth the trip - with occasional rare sightings on the rides out/back - saw 4 beaked whales!. Just went - did the Niihau trip twice in one week. Blew me away (I realize I have limited experience but it still blew me away). In case you didn't realize it, I had a ball!

I have only dove in Kona and Oahu, mainly Oahu, (which I am trying to remedy), so I can't really say which is my favorite. There are a lot of good dives on every island, and like previous people have mentioned it depends on what you are looking for and what makes a dive "good" to you. Honestly I don't think you can ever go wrong diving in Hawaii. I'd take a "bad dive day" over a good day in the office anyday.

My favorite Hawaiian Island dive was Niihau, by far. However that’s a boat only dive from Kauai. Having dived only Kona on the big island and Kauai (and Niihau), (snorkeled on Oahu) I think Kauai edges out Kona because of the access to Niihau for summer diving. For Winter diving, Kona is amazing and who can not dive Kona without going on the Manta dive?

I am responding only a visitor to these magnificent islands. I will return very soon!

Back
Top Bottom