Sore Ears

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NicW

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello. I've been diving for 9 years - have about 55 dives. When we go on vacation, I tend to dive everyday twice per day. I have no trouble equalizing; my problem is more just with sore/inflamed ears. After a few days, they start feeling sore - even to the touch - almost like they are infected. Not sure if possibly retained water irritates them or what but sick of this happening and hope someone can offer advise. I have used drops and sometimes it helps. Can anyone offer advise? Thx in advance.
Nic

Hey Nic,
I think the problem is your not equalizing early and often enough. I had the same problem freediving, painful tender ears right around the exterior ear canal. I'd wait till I felt pressure then equalize with a big "pop". Ideally you'll want to equalize before feeling discomfort and not feel or hear any pop at all; from surface to bottom depth (IDEALLY).

Try different methods of equalizing:
- Frenzel method
- Yawning with a wide open throat and mouth, breathing nice and easy
- Wiggling your jaw
etc

If the problem isn't this then is could be wet ears.
Try Ethyl rubbing Alcohol in the ears, it will help you dry them out. Drop them in, let them sit for a few seconds, then drain them. Some people do 50-50 with water, I've done 90% straight from the bottle. Burns and tingles a bit, but should NOT hurt. Let your ears air dry, and don't stick anything into them, not even Q-tips.
Don't go crazy on this, it's simply to dry your ears out, not make you feel better.
There's other recipes that use vinegar in addition, I don't usually use ear drops so I can't clarify for this. Try doing a google search on homemade swimmer's ear drop formulas.

In addition to all this I would also recommend seeing an ENT (eye-nose-throat doctor), preferably one with diving experience, to do a check up on your ears. You can also call DAN's non-emergency hotline and maybe they can give you some input as well.

Based on your description, it sounds like you might be dealing with an outer ear infection.

For the next time that this happens...
If you tug a little bit on your earlobe (or elsewhere on the ear cartilage) and it's painful, then you most likely have an outer ear infection (otitis externa). Another common complaint with such infections is ear "itchiness." Many divers use homebrew or over-the-counter eardrops to prevent the outer ear infections associated with diving, snorkeling, and swimming. As with most medical issues, if you aren't sure of what you've got or the problem seems to be getting worse or you're getting more troubling symptoms (fever, nausea, dizziness, lightheadedness, etc.), don't hesitate to see a medical professional about it. Obviously, an ENT would be very helpful, but any internist/GP/primary care doc should be able to care for you. After taking a detailed history to ascertain that this was a scuba-related injury, the physician will use an otoscope to visualize the eardrum, mainly to rule out eardrum perforation.

The scuba-doc.com website has this to say about the prevention and treatment of otitis externa:
  • Prevention of Otitis Externa
    Cleanse external canals of occluding wax and avoid trauma from Q-tips, bobby pins, etc. Use a good ear solution to maintain a slightly acid environment. A 2% acetic acid and aluminum acetate solution is a good choice. (The pharmacist either can make this up or provide a generic solution; 'Domeboro Otic Solution is not made or sold by Bayer any more.)​
  • Treatment of Otitis Externa
    Irrigate with lukewarm tapwater or 1.5% peroxide. Eardrops that are slightly acid or contain antibiotics.​
Some people also use a specially-made ear dryer device to dry out the external ear canal after diving.

FYI, another very common problem in novices and/or infrequent divers is middle ear barotrauma, which is completely different from an outer ear infection. If I descend very fast (at my limit of how quickly I can equalize my ears) and do a lot of diving in a short period of time (dive vacation), sometimes I'll get a dull ache in my ears. More significant trauma will induce ear fullness or stuffiness and possibly muffled hearing. The best way to avoid middle ear barotrauma is to descend slowly and equalize early/often. Treatment for middle ear barotrauma is different from that for otitis externa.

For a wonderful lecture and info on how to keep your ears healthy while diving, click on the link in my sig. It will take you to Dr. Kay's website. Enjoy.

50/50 Alcohol and vinegar for 5 minutes in each ear is the mixture I would recommend.

The only thing not covered above is to slow down more on ascent and descent. I mess my ears up on ascent if I go up fast at all. Especially make sure to go slow the last few feet to the surface, where the greatest pressure differential takes place. Once underwater watch your depth changes as you are going over an obstacle or under something.

Wow. Been going on a while. Did you try being more conservative about the pressure used to equalize that was suggested last time? That was sure sounding likely.

I think you need to get by a physician, preferably an ENT, while they're inflamed, so they can take a look inside and see what's to be seen, which can often tell them if you have some sort of infection, maybe chronic, that's flaring up with diving. Or if it's some sort of contact reaction. (Allergic to silicone?*) They can also see if you have some condition that's aggravating it, like maybe excess wax built up.

I guess it would be silly to ask if you wear a hood that's maybe tight or have the mask strap running across the ears. I know ill fitting glasses used to make my ears very sore when the earpiece rested against the wrong spot.

* Rare but possible. And I'm presuming it's not some odd combination of a non-neoprene wet suit and neoprene hood combined with a neoprene allergy, which is more common than silicone allergy.

You've gotten a great deal of good advice already. The topic of ear problems is a common one, and I wrote an essay a while back to help people understand the difference between barotrauma and external otitis. The latter is helped by drying agents, and treated by topical antibiotics. The former is avoided by earlier and more gentle equalization, and is treated with antiinflammatory medications and sometimes with decongestants.

I was diving in Crystal river, FL. I noticed my left ear felt like it had water in it. I have never had a problem with my ears before but we had been doing alot of diving so I didn't think to much about it. We flew home on Thursday and I still am haveing that water clogged feeling. I did wear a hood for the first time in FL. I just cant seem to get the water out. I tried over the counter "ear drying agent" to no avail. It is not Saturday night and this water sound in my ear is driving me crazy. Any suggestions?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom