Sore Ankle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Burner

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been diving for 3 days and I have managed to get a very sore ankle. First day was alright, second day that night it was sore. Did one dive the 3rd day and it was very sore. The issue seems to be my spring straps. As I was swimming out on the last dive I could feel the pressure on my ankle.

Now when I move my foot it feels somewhat weird like somehting is rubbing inside the skin, it is slightly swollen around the tendon.

How long should I expect this to take to heal? Please speak up if you think this is DCS, as far as the symptoms go I find it unlikely, and my dives weren't particularly agressive.
Any suggestions on having this not happen? I am wearing a drysuit and have a small amount of squeeze around my foot as well.

CALL DAN and discuss this with them ASAP. Have your dive profile ready and be ready to e-mail you dives if you have a downloadable computer. I was bent once, in the ankle, thought for the first two days I had twisted it when a wave knocked me down.

The Docs will weigh in and given the information you provided here it is tough to say it is or is not DCS. My DSC was a very small almost not noticible pain at first. It grew in intensity and expanded its area over the next few days. So if you don't think it is DCS because it is a small pain, you may be incorrect.

To put it another way CALL DAN now. Would you rather call and have them say is it not, or not call and have permanent nerve damage because you waited a few days (which is what happened to me.)?

I did talk to DAN after I posted and they said it wasn't very likely to be DCS. The profiles and symptons don't add up to it.

Dear Burner:

You do not give the dive profiles, but you say that there was minimal diving involved. DAN appears to have suggested that it was a benign overuse problem. Your description seems to indicate that it progressed on a daily basis; DCS worsens on an hourly basis.

Dr Deco :doctor:

I'm not quite sure what you mean.
If anything it has gotten better, it only hurts if I put on shoes, sandals is alright. Seems like it it just bruised. I'm more interested in peoples ideas to stop this from happening or if anyone else has had this happen.
I posted here because I wasn't quite sure what forum to put it in.

Glad to hear it was not the bends. One can never be too careful.

Now about future prevention. That is a tough one. Could be many issues or a combination of several things. Spring strap could be too tight. It could be sore from being used to kick out and not use to the workout.

Back
Top Bottom