Soon to be "brand new" divers...looking for dive vacation advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just saw a thread about Dominica. This was another of my ideas for an afforda great beginner dive vacation. I would like to know more about the weather in June and July.

I just saw a thread about Dominica. This was another of my ideas for an afforda great beginner dive vacation. I would like to know more about the weather in June and July.

kimjofca - there is information about Dominica down on the Caribbean Forum and information about Roatan down on the Central America Forum.

June and July are in the hurricane season in the whole Caribbean arena.... it may be sunny and warm or it may be rainy and stormy. No way to predict week to week. Prices are lower because it is hurricane season.

Ron, I did not mean to offend. I have probably made fifty trips to the Keys and done hundreds and hundreds of dives there. I was only responding to the OP who titled his post "soon to be brand new divers" and responding to his questions and noting my own impressions.

I do think that perceptions are different if you live in a place, as I do, where you could dive every day if you wanted to. We tired of diving locally, not because the diving wasn't good, but because we got sick of the drill of schlepping the tanks, etc. to the local cattle boats. We went to the Keys because it was more of a long-weekend, mini-vacation feeling, although cattle boats nonetheless.

I do beleive that if you're a beginning diver and your aim is to inculcate a love of diving in your spouse/buddy, your best bet is to go somewhere where diving is the main reason to go there.

Looks like a dive destination to me! :D

Brain_Coral_NDryRocks_2293_low.jpg

NurseShark_downsize_2195.jpg

Banded_Butterflyfish_Medium_2231.jpg

MidnightParrotFish_001.jpg

64203113_Jdzl2AMa.jpg

QueenAngle_002.jpg

BabyAlligator_4974.jpg

Sunset_FtMyers_1950_web.jpg

I agree that the Keys don't feel like an all inclusive resort. Maybe it is the lack of beaches that some find troubling. The diving is NOT as spectacular as some other spots in the Caribbean. The reefs are not as dramatic as those in Coz. I just think for new divers, it is more than enough... Heck I dive the BlueHole in NM for gawd sakes! :D

The OP can choose to go where they... choose. :D

This may seem like a bassakwards way to view dive destinations, but it's data that I wish I had when I started diving. To experienced divers these are just ways to describe diving, but to newbies these are real considerations.

Ambergris Caye Belize - Fairly rough seas and most boats are small with backroll entries. Better for more experienced divers. Larger fish and more sharks and rays.
Cozumel - Dives typically venture down to about 80+ feet to start and then there is a very strong current . . . thus they call it drift diving. Newbies will suck up a lot of air at the beginning and then miss out on the great drift ride.
Roatan - Water can be kind of rough, but a plus is that dive masters stay with you during the whole dive. Stay with the group and have fun. AKR is great.
Florida Keys - My experience there was with a dive operation that just pointed you the right direction and said the pool's open. Navigation was essential and reefs are just OK.
Cayman Brac - Good combination of wall dives and flat shallow dives. Dive master will usually take you on an excursion and then leave you to explore in the shallow water. You can vary your depth and follow the group from above. Boats are anchored to a mooring ball. When you are done diving just return to the boat.
Little Cayman - Similar dive operation as Cayman Brac. Great dive masters and you can also vary your depth. Boats are anchored to a mooring ball.

Of all these destinations, I would recommend Cayman Brac or Little Cayman for a newbie. The combination of all-inclusive resorts, really nice boats, anchored dive sites and beautiful clear water make this my favorite destination for a newbie or experienced diver. "The Brac" as it is called is cheaper than Little, but it is currently closed for remodeling. They are not cheap, but "you get what you pay for".

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!:cool2:
S4S

Thanks everyone for the advice. We have looked around and are slowly narrowing our choices, though do to outside influences (namely possibly buying a new home) we may either postpone the trip or just go to Key Largo.

Key Largo is ideal for new divers. In Key Largo you'll find lots of shallow dives where you can dive with just your buddy. There's no guide to serve as a crutch, so you'll actually be gaining experience diving not just following a guide around which does little for building real dive experience. You can get in two dives per day quite easily or bump it up to four per day if you discover two isn't enough. Two per day is usually perfect for beginners, four tires beginners out.

I don't recommend Cozumel for your first trip because you'll be required to dive with a guide. Following a guide becomes a crutch if you start it too soon.

Bonaire is beautiful and you should have it on your list of places to dive soon. When you go, I recommend buying a shore diving package and skipping the boat dives. I don't think it should be your first trip because you're not quite ready to be totally on your own. Gain some experience and get to the point you're comfortable in the 80 - 100 ft range before heading to Bonaire. I also recommend Bonaire for folks who really love to dive. A hurricane shortened my last trip to Bonaire, so I only got in 4 days of diving, but still logged 24 dives.

There are many, many places with wonderful diving and you have your entire life to explore them. Enjoy this lifestyle.

Thanks Walter...that is the exact same conclusion we are coming to.

Also, the wife does want to do more than just DIVE!DIVE!DIVE! She wants to kick back and relax as well (she is just finishing her Masters degree). So we are looking on heading to the Keys, doing three days of 2 dives, and then doing a day sail, kicking on the "beach" (I know there are only a handful), and doing Key West for at least a day.

Thanks again for everyone's advice, I truly appreciate it. SCUBA is a whole new world to us.

My first "dive" trip was Couples, Negril in Jamaica. For a new cert I thought it was perfect.

Its all inclusive, you get 2 tank boat dives daily, waterskiing, hobie cat rentals (sailboats), kayak rentals etc. Food was great, Friday nights is lobster night and drinks are top notch.

For a place with all inclusive diving, very few people took advantage. Usually went out in groups of 6 or less, and, of those 6, 1-2 of them were usually resort workers + a DM.

Jamaica is really relaxed and since you were in very small groups there was no pressure from the "hardcore divers" a newbie could feel intimidated by.

The hotel is a bit worn, but the ammenties far trump the room conditions

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom