Sony VX2100 or JVC GR-HD1 hi def? Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RebreatherBoy

Registered
Reaction score
Gang,

I could use some advice, I don't know diddly about underwater videoing.

I am planning some tropical trips to Micronesia and Indonesia...and I just can't imagine not getting a videocam and recording the adventure, especially with Indonesia being the macro critter-capitol of the world.

General underwater panoramas and videoing M.r Big have their place and need to be in the tapes, but I am more interested in really sharp, clear stuff showing every detail of all those whimsical little creatures.

Sony has their new well regarded VX2100 3 CCD chip camera that has a 1 lux rating, which is really REALLY low, but.....for the closeup stuff, who needs low light capabilities if one is using a Niterider pro dual HID light setup.

But then again JVC has their new GR-HD1 hi definition that records on mini dv casettes in hi def formats. I hear the images are stunningly crisp. But the lux rating is 35.

I am torn between really sharp, clear imagery of the hi def cam compared to the 3ccd chip cameras which are known for accurate color rendition.

Should I not care about the huge lux difference, or will it give me noise and artifacts when shooting far away subject where the lights don't reach?

But then again, will the hi def have comparatively sucky color rendition compared to the 3ccd Sony?

I will probably get a Gates housing.....

Thanks for all the help....

:)

RebreatherBoy:
Gang,
Should I not care about the huge lux difference, or will it give me noise and artifacts when shooting far away subject where the lights don't reach?

But then again, will the hi def have comparatively sucky color rendition compared to the 3ccd Sony?
:)

Yes, you'll have much more noise shooting in ambient light using the JVC HD-1 vs the Sony.

Yes the Hi Def has sucky color rendition compared to the Sony.

The JVC HD-1 records beautiful pictures outside on a sunny day, but you won't like it's performance at 60 feet underwater. It's low light is well below average. On the other hand, the Sony is well above average. You'll also get better image quality in general going with the 3chip vs the single chip.

The JVC is just a crappier image that happens to be high resolution. I haven't heard any rave reviews about the JVC from people in my field. I'd recommend the SONY for all around best results... although if you're really focusing on the little critters up close and throwing lots of light on them, the JVC might give you a bit more detail, but the color might not be as true. I haven't dived or shot with either, I base my recommendation on the specs. and my knowledge working as a vid pro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom