Sony PC330? Gates vs Light & Motion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am going to call Ocean I now.....
left a mess....wait for them to call back

A couple of other things to keep in mind, the USVH housing is fairly universal w/the Sony TRV series (which means you can probably use the same housing for future camcorders). Also the USVH housing really only has 2 possible failure points (the front and back covers) as the controls are sealed and the on/off switch are electronic and non-penetrating. There are also only 2 O-rings to concern yourself with and the rear one is the only one that requires anything resembling maintenance between dive days (lite clean and grease before sealing it back up, I don't remove the front one until I return home from vacation).

As far as cost, I saw some very high figures listed for monitors and batts. The monitor is $290 (although I would look at total housing price with all the stuff you'll want) and the extended batt is $75 (you will want this anyway as the standard batt won't take you through a full day off diving, you can then use the standard batt to power the monitor).

Just my nickels worth (I put in my 2 cents worth at the begining of the post).

Jeff

JRO:
A couple of other things to keep in mind, the USVH housing is fairly universal w/the Sony TRV series (which means you can probably use the same housing for future camcorders). Also the USVH housing really only has 2 possible failure points (the front and back covers) as the controls are sealed and the on/off switch are electronic and non-penetrating. There are also only 2 O-rings to concern yourself with and the rear one is the only one that requires anything resembling maintenance between dive days (lite clean and grease before sealing it back up, I don't remove the front one until I return home from vacation).

As far as cost, I saw some very high figures listed for monitors and batts. The monitor is $290 (although I would look at total housing price with all the stuff you'll want) and the extended batt is $75 (you will want this anyway as the standard batt won't take you through a full day off diving, you can then use the standard batt to power the monitor).

Just my nickels worth (I put in my 2 cents worth at the begining of the post).

Jeff

I think he is looking for a PC series housing, not a TRV. Before Sony introduced the PC330 there were indications that Sony was going to end the line with the PC120. In talking with Warren (USVH) he told me that this may be a concern for the future in the event I upgraded the video camera, but he did tell me that he heard about a 'new' PC series coming out. Warren was superb in discussing everything with me and was up front with everything - I would have no problem purchasing a USVH housing. As far as features - both are very similar as both have electronic controls, the main differences are the method of connection of the controls (and how they are housed) and the the o-rings used: OI uses an "X" o-ring while USVH uses a 'standard' type o-ring.

I should also point out that Jeff is right about the price, getting the external monitor with the housing is $290 (but you have to buy the battery). With the Sony WAL and standard controls you're looking at $1779 ($2079 with extended controls) and then add another $75-100 for the battery. This is MUCH more then I paid for the OI housing - the only reason being that I didn't have to pay for an external monitor ... maybe that's where I got the $600 from ..... I get confused sometimes :wink: My personal opinion is that both housings are excellent, but for the money I'd get the OI for the PC series (or the LM Mako) and use the LCD screen that comes with the camera. Why deal with another piece of equipment and another battery that you have to look after? For me, it seemed like more chances for a failure during a trip. For other video cameras? I don't think you could go wrong with either. I plan on buying a USVH if/when I upgrade to a TRV (as I made a promise I would :)).

One other thing to consider is that the PC series are SMALL camcorders - this means that its easy to get jerky movements in the footage (unless you are very smooth when swimming). Larger cameras are generally more forgiving in this area. But if a PC series has already been decided upon then this point is really moot! :wink:

Sirensmyst - Where in SoCal are you? Perhaps you could join us for a dive trip and you can try out the OI and PC120 and see if you like the setup. We have a boat trip coming up May 16th if you're interested ... PM me.

Sorry about that PNL, that's what happens when I start reading from four different pages and decide to reply to one of them at night. I was looking at the prices for the TRV housings for OI and couldn't see any savings. Sorry for the misinfo.

Jeff

JRO:
Sorry about that PNL, that's what happens when I start reading from four different pages and decide to reply to one of them at night. I was looking at the prices for the TRV housings for OI and couldn't see any savings. Sorry for the misinfo.

Jeff
Jeff....
Don't be sorry....thank you for the insite and the information. I am so new to this I am learning so much so fast...I am getting confused too. I am not set on the 330....now that I have discovered the TRV950. I just think I am getting out of my $$$ range. Both of you guys have good info and I appreciate the time you took to write to me. I found the Japanese vendor has great strobe prices....so I am looking at the whole pkg....camera, houseing, batt's, strobe and appendages. That's a bit of change. I want to get a good set I can grow up with....I won't be able to do this again.
I think the TRV + OI or USVH is the ticket.

sirensmyst:
Jeff....
Don't be sorry....thank you for the insite and the information. I am so new to this I am learning so much so fast...I am getting confused too. I am not set on the 330....now that I have discovered the TRV950. I just think I am getting out of my $$$ range. Both of you guys have good info and I appreciate the time you took to write to me. I found the Japanese vendor has great strobe prices....so I am looking at the whole pkg....camera, houseing, batt's, strobe and appendages. That's a bit of change. I want to get a good set I can grow up with....I won't be able to do this again.
I think the TRV + OI or USVH is the ticket.

The running joke I have w/a friend is that the housing (protection for the camera) costs more than the camera and the lights cost more than the housing (it's funnier in person).

If you're looking to save money initially and still leave upgrade options open, you don't necessarily need lights right away. The filter (at least in the Carribean) seems to work fine down to about 70 or so feet, below that level everything becomes blue.

I actually took mine down for a few night dives on the last trip. My buddy and I used our dive lights for lighting (kinda looked like something from the Blair Witch Project), but I was still able to get some interesting images. I'm now thinking about the feasability of using 2 very strong diffused dive lights instead of buying lights.

Good luck w/your choice, I would take Pnl up on the offer to try out his rig, or seeing if you can rent somewhere (nothing beats trying before you buy).

Jeff

PnL lives nearby...I think I will see them before too long. My boyfriend uses a UK light with his C5050....and it has worked out well. They make a high intensity light that isn't too expensive. I can get more detail if you want....I just don't have it here.

JRO - No apologies necessary at all! Actually you did Sirensmyst, the board and myself a favor by catching the incorrect price for the external monitor in my first post (to my embarrasment .... :embarass: ooops! :)).

You also bring up a great point about the filter and lights. I have only been using ambient light for my videos and only down to about 60 feet. Initially I had the CY filter (which is made for the clear blue waters of seas/oceans like the Carribean which made for terribly footage in our 'greener' California waters. OI sent me the GR filter, which is much better suited for California! I kept the CY filter so I can use it for that trip we've been planning to the Carribean since we've been certified .... hasn't materialized yet but it will ... soon ... I hope :wink:

And Sirensmyst ... I'm interested in low-cost lighting alternatives if you don't mind sharing some info :)

sirensmyst:
From seeing the video 330 on a recent trip....you can pull out the stills from the video anywhere....for me, that means it isn't necessary to have it in "still" mode, or take a still shot. You make a good point....why pay for the still mode if it isn't useful? My bud takes the C5050 for stills anyway....so that wouldn't be my motivation. Thanks for the insite.

photos taken from the tape are okay for viewing on screens (computer monitor, tv) but the resolution is too low for quality prints. the simplest (well, almost) digital camera will beat a still taken from a video. you will have to switch to photo mode on the 330 to get decent stills.

Ah yes...I have heard that one before. This has made me think twice about whether I want the still capability with the video. Being that I am not experienced taking a camera to begin with, and strive to be streamlined....I see myself with a video AND a still attached to me in the future. So I may as well start with a video that just does good videos....such as the PDX 950....any thoughts on that? Any thing less expensive out there comparable?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom