Sony PC330? Gates vs Light & Motion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjh

Contributor
Reaction score
What a great resource. I am ready to make the plunge into photography. After talking to the wife and others most enjoy watching videos of dives more than individual shots. Like many I have been waiting for a camcorder that takes good stills. It seems that day has arrived with the Sony DCR PC 330. 3megapixil stills!

Has anyone used one yet?

Next, is a housing since I do not have unlimited funds I am trying to by the best camera I can and a good housing. Right now it looks like either they Light and Motion Mako or a Gates.

What are your feelings on Gates mechanical vs. Light & Motion electronic controls?? Plus the L&M is very expensive. Anybody using either? What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

mjh:
Like many I have been waiting for a camcorder that takes good stills. It seems that day has arrived with the Sony DCR PC 330. 3megapixil stills!
I haven't used it yet, but it's the one I'm looking at. if you have a memory stick take a couple of pics with the camera and then with a P8 still camera.
The latter I know is excellent. That would give you a good idea of the video camera's still performance.

mjh:
What are your feelings on Gates mechanical vs. Light & Motion electronic controls??
I like the Gates better because of it's mechanical control. Less to go wrong. A friend of mine has the LMI for the PC110 and had several problems in the beginning. Some switch was assembled backwards, and one grip didn't work. Customer service was pretty good, they fixed the assembly and exchanged the grip asap. Still, for a new housing out of the box at that price it shouldn't have happened.

The Gates housing is solid and the optics pretty good. Also, if you ever want to dive deep you'll probably run into problems with a stock LMI.

Don't know if you've ever seen an Oceanhaus housing, they're VERY small, great for travelling. Look very cool, are mechanical, but bare bones. No in-housing filter and such. The optics, however, are hands down the best I've seen yet. Comparing footage from a friend's promotional DVD shot with a VX1000 in a LMI housing and a PC100 in an Oceanhaus housing, the little camera gives the big one a run for the money. And it fit's into a fanny pack.

Never heard of Oceanhaus, I will have to check them out. Another thing I like about the Gates is it takes advantage of the camera's flip screen, rather than LMI who charges $750 for an external screen. I am also wondering about Ikelite? (SP?) Seen people using them for still cameras.

Any suggestions for dealers of housings?

mjh:
Another thing I like about the Gates is it takes advantage of the camera's flip screen, rather than LMI who charges $750 for an external screen. I am also wondering about Ikelite? (SP?) Seen people using them for still cameras.
That is another advantage of the Gates. So is the use of the build in monitor. The external one from LMI is a very costly proposition. Either way these screens use plenty of power, and the Gates allows you to use a bigger battery. (the Oceanhaus doesn't, nor is there an monitor available for it. But if you film or shoot without lights you'll be able to reach into many tight places that the larger housings won't go).

mjh:
Any suggestions for dealers of housings?
That depends on where you are. Easy here in the L.A. area, there are several dive stores that sell LMI, and Gates isn't much of a problem either. Oceanhaus is available only through ABSea. That's a small store next to LAX that deals exclusively in UW photography. You can buy either one or all of them there.
Their website is www.absea.net , for Gates and LMI dealers check their respective websites.
In Northern California is Backscatter, another good shop for UW photography.
Those are the only ones I know. If you have a scuba trade show in your area it might well be worth waiting for it and getting a look at all of them, their handling and a good deal. :wink:

I mentioned the friend with the PC100 in my previous post. He still uses it for
video, but got a Sony P5 in Sony's housing for still pictures. He usually takes both as they are quite small in their respective housings. Even with the availability of the PC330 it's probably the better way to go.
Here a couple of links:
Pictures from Catalina, stills shot with the PC100:
http://community.webshots.com/album/30577387JSyBLhHtSr
For comparisson, here some P5 images from Bonaire
http://community.webshots.com/album/37167441JGSBEo
He also has some video up on his company's website if you want to take a look. That works only with PC, not Mac. You have to sign up, but it's legit. He just uses the site to demo the use of their software.
http://discovery.vidyah.com
If you have any specific questions get in touch with him through those pages.

Stefan

Just found a picture of the ABSea crew I took at the Scuba Show in Long Beach this summer. You get an idea of the size and cool colors of Oceanhouses.

The only photography I have done with and Sea&Sea film camera in housing is having a flip screen much better than looking through the eye piece?

Hi MJH,

You may want to take a look at Undersea Video Housings as well;

http://www.underseavideo.com/H.html

I picked up a housing from them for my Sony TRV-70 and loved it. Electronic controls, very easy to operate and and only two o-rings to take care of (from my understanding the mechanicals have quite a few more).

Just took a look at the new 330, I almost wish I had waited.

Good luck and enjoy,
:flush:
Jeff

I have the Mako PC100 Housing and Love it, I have used it for around 300 dives and only had one problem (Was my fault). I have heard of others having minor problems as mentioned in the posts above. The Electonic controls are the greatest part of the L&M setup. The Cost and Monitor Issues are very valid points. You won't be upset if you go with the Light & Motion, they will bend over backwards for you.

Choices, Choices, Choices. I want good optics, a system that allows you take advantage of the cameras features. One issue with the Sony 330 is it is a touch screen menu, so I think LM would have the advantage there. Would like to use the camera’s flip out screen. Don’t want something to go wrong when on a 2wk dive trip somewhere remote. Also quality and price of lighting systems, lens, etc… Would be a lot easier if I had money to burn.

If you had say… US$3500 (+/- couple hundred) for camera and housing what would you do??? Video, Still or Video/still?

Though Question.
What ever you go with, you will want to be able to take still pictures! Like I mentioned before I have used the Mako by L&M for over 3 years now and love it! but I just invested and Arm and 2 Legs for the New L&M Titan D100 Digital still setup. and find the Still photography a lot more challenging and easier to share with others.

So I guess what I am saying is: Go with the less expensive housing (If it has all the options you want/need?) and go with the Video/Still camera you mentioned. What features can you control with the Gates Housing for the Sony 330?

Back
Top Bottom