Sony PC1000 and the Macintosh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tollie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi,

I’m looking hard at the Sony PC1000 for underwater video but I am a Mac user and would wish for a seamless upload of video to the imovie software.

I have heard (and read) that Sony just doesn’t support the Mac and that one needs to employ a variety of work a rounds to edit clips produced by Sony camcorders on the Mac.

Do any of you on this board have experience with the Mac and the PC1000?

What’s it like?

Tollie:
Hi,

I’m looking hard at the Sony PC1000 for underwater video but I am a Mac user and would wish for a seamless upload of video to the imovie software.

I have heard (and read) that Sony just doesn’t support the Mac and that one needs to employ a variety of work a rounds to edit clips produced by Sony camcorders on the Mac.

What’s it like?

I use a Sony PC-350 and it works flawlessly.
I think you might be thinking of Panasonic (or another manufacturer) which doesn't follow the Firewire spec from Apple 100%.

As far as I know, Sony's work just fine, and have good support from U/W housing point of view.

Tollie

After I saw your question I gave Sony a call to get you an exact answer. They said that the software with the camera is compatible with Mac computers and they also said if you use I-link or Firewire that you can just use the I-movie software that you mentioned. Hope this helps.

Sean Clarke
Divers Direct & World Watersports

I have used the PC1000 and set up numerous customers with this camera who are mac users, almost all of whom are using iMovie and we have never encountered any problems with the upload. I think thet compatibility issue is Sony's software itself, but the camers are perfectly fine

limeyx:
I use a Sony PC-350 and it works flawlessly.
I think you might be thinking of Panasonic (or another manufacturer) which doesn't follow the Firewire spec from Apple 100%.

As far as I know, Sony's work just fine, and have good support from U/W housing point of view.
I have used a PC1000 extensively over the past few months. I think you would be very pleased with the outcome of the video. As for the MAC questions, I am editting on a pc so I can't help much there.
I have been using the camera with a Gates housing and WP25 Port. Excellent picture quality.
If you would like, I could see about getting you some short video clips.

Joe Holley
Underwater Unlimited
http://www.underwaterul.com

Tollie:
Hi,

What’s it like?
I am a Mac user and have zero problems with my Mac and my Sony VX 2100 camera. All you need is to connect them via Firewire cable (or iLink as Sony calls it, but it is the same cable) and that's it. Be it iMovie or Final Cut, you'll be able to transfer your video with no hassle whatsoever.

From there on, editing is a piece of cake.

The only camcorders that have problems with Macs are the USB-only ones. PC1000 has Firewire port mentioned in its specs, so you're safe. :14:

Also on MAC, with an HC1000. As long as you have your Firewire cable, you're good to go (to iMovie or Final Cut Pro).

Hi,

and so many thanks for your posts.

If you have clips (Joe?) taken with the PC1000 I'd love to see them. I'm planning on shooting without lights but using a blue water filter. The clarity of the water here is high (100 - 200 feet) and I'll be shooting at recreational depths.

I'm hoping to produce trip videos for guests on our dive boat.

Tollie,
Do rethink your idea to shoot without lights. The UR filter can only do just so much and will become more and more ineffective the deeper you go. If you are making a video for your guests they will desire and have a right to the best quality you can produce. While I do not use lights for every occasion, especially for distant wide angle shots, I never go in the water without lights. There are many lights around with a variety of prices that will enhance your shooting tenfold.
Steve:14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom