Sony marine paks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2O lover

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone know of a site that can tell me which sony housings fit which Sony video cameras? I have looked at the sony web site but can not find any information on their video housings.

Thnaks,
John

H2O lover:
Does anyone know of a site that can tell me which sony housings fit which Sony video cameras? I have looked at the sony web site but can not find any information on their video housings.

Thnaks,
John
If you find one let me know, I looked last summer and was unable to locate this type of information. I've read that Sony didn't really market video housings in the U.S., so maybe one of their foreign sites might have more info.

Generally it seems that Sony uses their camera type in their naming scheme. Except for the newer digital stuff, generally there's 3 series of older MPK housings.

Anything with a TR in the name like the MPK-TRA2 will usually fit the older series of 8MM and Hi8 TR series sony cameras, anything with a TRV in the name will fit the newer Hi-8/Digital 8 and anything with a V in the model number usually fits a specific 1980's/early 90's vintage CCD-VXX camcorder.

There's a couple of examples on eBay right now of the various types.

For the new stuff, they use a naming convention I've not been able to figure out, for example their MPK-DVF4 housing fits certain TRV models, Mini-DV camcorders specifically. But I don't know which ones.

Of all of them I believe the TRV and DVF series are the most camera specific models.

Since Sony uses LANC controls I think most of the older series are more adaptable as long as the camera body itself fits in the housing and the lens lines up. Although some of the older ones are also very specific and fitted to a specific Sony camera model only, others like the TRA will generally fit anything in the Sony TR series line, and probably most of the TRV series as long as you don't use the lcd.

Watch for alignment of both the lens and viewfinder of any camera you're wanting to house in a Marine Pak, especially the older ones - they have smaller rear ports, most of the port is plastic with just a small viewing window.

All of the above is based on my research and deductions after looking at lots of pictures of housings and cameras. YMMV.........

If you have a particular housing you're looking at, send me the info and I'll try to identify what fits. A picture would be useful too.

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom