Sony HVR-Z1U

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueReef

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
hi Guys,

I am thinking about buying the Sony HVR-Z1U camera. I have read a few reviews on the net, but was hoping if anyone here could tell me their views please? I will be jumping in at the deepend, but that's cool, as I can learn more and really get to know that camera inside out whilst doing so. I've never really been a fan of practising with cheapy things (in most cases anyway).

The thing I'm having difficulty getting info, is on what media the data is/can be recorded on. It says it records onto DV minicassette, I am not a fan of 'tape', seems so dated these days and don't believe it'll stay around much longer, surely technology has moved onto 'disk/harddrive' systems like still cameras use. I don't like the idea of spending so much then it being worthless in a few years time, not to mention having to carry around and take care of all the tapes (even if they are very small).

Any info guys? Thanks a lot in advance.

It's tape only unless there's a 3rd party Ilink device available. And if there is, housing mfr's likely don't provide space for it in their housings. The FX1/Z1U is at least several years old now. Solid state recording wasn't considered when it was designed.

The HVR-V1U which is the newer 3CMOS camera based on the (discontinued) FX7 also has the same problem, although it has a 60GB HDD add-on - the HVR-DR60, afaik no housing mfr. allows for it.

Both the Z1U and V1U are prosumer models, so they were designed to be tape based.

A newer camera that has solid state recording options is the Sony PMW-EX1, a true HD Cam but Sony left off a LANC port so it can only be housed in a mechanical housing. Gates, Seatool and Sealux have a housing under development for it afaik.

To complicate things further, there's the HVR-Z7 - an HDV based LANC equipped camera. It has solid-state storage options. My guess would be that L&M and Amphibico might house it.

Or there's the RED One - Gates is building a housing for it also. Just a bit more expensive...:rofl3:

There's also several Panasonic and Canon models but I don't follow them.

As Ronscuba mentioned, all are discussed in more depth on Wetpixel.

Hey Thanks guys! That helps a bit. I check out wet pixel for sure. I'm not intending to buy anything until later this year, so have a bit of time. Hopefully, there'll be some new news by then. I really would like a solid state storage system though. Gates seem pretty switched on though, so I think they'll come up with something decent soon.

Yeah The RED One looks GREAT! I was looking at that site last week, pricetag is a little more than offputting though lol. I don't even think a kidney sale would stretch THAT far, it'll come down one day though :)

Thanks again guys.

I played around with a Sony PMW-EX1 at B&H photo yesterday. That is one serious cam. Low light capability was fantastic. However, given the price and size of the cam, plus the housing, it's definitely not a hobbyist system.

Wow cool! I think I have a new favourite cam in the 'affordable' range. If it really is affordable? Hard to put it into proportion these days, especially when saving for a house and todays normal expenses. I figure for something that is such a great hobby, yeah, I think I'd stretch that far.

Oh here's a question - a site said that cam PMW-EX1 XDCAM has a 'Slow & Quick Motion feature' - surely this is a bit of a gimmick, as those effect can be done in post production.

Ron you mentioned the size - it actually looks smaller than the HVR

PMW-EX1

It looks about the same size as the Z1, but wider. I'm not positive though. Just going from how it looked in the showroom. Don't forget to consider the cost and size of the housing.

If I were you, I'd hold off on buying ANY HDV camera. I'm guessing HDV will be a dead technology in 12-18 months time. And I share your feelings about tape. I abandoned it over a year ago. I still have to keep some tape so I can send and recieve DVCam with the local TV stations, but I don't shoot it anymore.

The pro world is moving very quickly to solid state CompactFlash or SDHC cards. Sony with these SxS cards and Panasonic with it's P2 cards I think will yield sooner than later. Well maybe Sony won't but everyone else will.

It's unfortunate that Panasonic's DVX-100 replacement camera doesn't have a LANC port, or it might be right up your alley. Before you jump on the EX-1, hold off until after April and lets see what the electronics show holds... Especially with a new camera called Scarlet. :)

I had the luxury of having a few EX1 cameras in last week. I put them up next to the HVX200, Z1U and V1U. The Ex1 is very similar in size to the HVX200 and Z1U. It is definitely wider due to the rotating handle with the zoom control...and after checking out the camera's control placements, I think its going to be interesting to see the housing designs and control placements.

The camera is excellent and I am looking forward to getting one in the water as soon as he get a housing in our hands.

sorry to bump an old thread. i've been reading through the pros and cons of owning a tape or tapeless recording device and i stumbled across this thread.

i would have probably gone tapeless if there was a larger housing available. something to get hold of and keep steady/very still.

so apart from the likes of the Sony 550v etc are there any larger cameras with a solid state recording device available with company's that are making decent housings for?

the 550v etc are no doubt great handy cams but all of the videos ive seen are very shaky due to them being so small and hard to handle in difficult conditions.

so was there a housing manufactured for a lightly larger camera that lets you record footage to a card or internal hard drive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom