Review Sony FE 28-60mm f/4-5.6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again, you are making an assumption. I do shoot underwater as well as above the surface. Here are a couple of my shots that I have taken over the years:
View attachment 766847

View attachment 766848

View attachment 766849

FWIW, I currently am trying to downsize even more, and I have my 10-18 and my 16-55 lenses and the dome that fits both of them up for sale in the Classifieds Section. My plan is to use the kit lens with a Nauticam WWL-C to further reduce the size of my kit. I am also willing to accept the images that I get from this set up.
So therefore the idea of the 28-60mm on A1 is not something that should be alien to you as you are going to use the 16-50PZ a mediocre lens and probably pull off better shots
Why the lesson on better optics? It was uncalled for

So therefore the idea of the 28-60mm on A1 is not something that should be alien to you as you are going to use the 16-50PZ a mediocre lens and probably pull off better shots
Why the lesson on better optics? It was uncalled for
All things being equal, I will always opt for better optics when I can. Having said that, there is a big difference IMHO between putting a kit lens on an OK camera such as the A6000 and not expecting great results than putting a kit lens on a manufacturers' flagship camera and expecting outstanding results. You notice I don't have a kit lens listed among the lenses that I use on my A7R3. I have never regretted good optics and doubt that I ever will. I still think that you would be happier with the results that you get from your A1 with a better lens such as the Sony 24-70mm f/2.8 GMII which you already own. By all accounts, that 24-70 is an outstanding lens.

To be honest though, I don't really care what you use after all, as you said, you weren't looking for advice and you arrogantly claimed that you are "probably better" than me and that you presumed that I don't shoot underwater without bothering to ask if I had any experience on which I based my opinion.

I still think that you would be happier with the results that you get from your A1 with a better lens such as the Sony 24-70mm f/2.8 GMII which you already own. By all accounts, that 24-70 is an outstanding lens.
The problem with 24-70mm f/2.8 is that it does not play well with water-contact optics. You can, in theory, shoot it in a dome, but in that scenario its field of view will be relatively narrow, and quality will be severely degraded. Look at this comparison - - 28-60mm with WACP-C, WACP-1 and WWL-1, and 16-35mm f/2.8 GM in a 230mm dome. The kit lens with water contact optics gets a sharper image than the GM lens in a dome at every tested aperture. You could, in theory, use a WACP-2 with a 16-35mm GM lens, but that's seven kilograms and nine thousand dollars...

I don’t know my ass from my elbow but it seems A LOT of people, that make a living with a camera, are extremely impressed with the Nauticam optics and the 28-60. I am pretty sure most of the optics are based off the 28mm. But hey what does Nauticam know.

I don’t know my ass from my elbow but it seems A LOT of people, that make a living with a camera, are extremely impressed with the Nauticam optics and the 28-60. I am pretty sure most of the optics are based off the 28mm. But hey what does Nauticam know.
The key issue to use a lens in a water contact optic is the lens design
Lenses that are small and don’t extend much work well
I was part of the best testers of the WWL-1 when it was released. Although is not fair to compare a distorted optic with a rectilinear many formats do not have a zoom fisheye so this fits perfectly a gap in the lens line up
And yes as bagmalot says it outperforms some more expensive lenses in some but not all use cases

I just upgraded from a compact that I outgrew a long time ago to an A7RV and the consistent feedback I've read from multiple reputable individuals/sources sing praises for the 28-60mm behind a WWL-1/WWL-1B which is what I ended up getting. (Among them, including Alex Mustard and Phil Rudin on Wetpixel, and Bluewater.) I'll report back once it gets wet.

Maybe a little off topic, reading your discussions about the lens would be grateful for some hints on the selection of equipment.
Sony A7R V Camera

They offer the FE 16-35 2.8 GM lens, reading your comments I am thinking about buying this lens.

The set will be used for filming and taking photos with the Nauticam Port 180 mm 18809
of course, the A7 case also with Nauticam

My knowledge of photos ends with auto and button presses.

I will be grateful for advice, it is unlikely that I will develop this equipment with other lenses.

Again, you are making an assumption. I do shoot underwater as well as above the surface. Here are a couple of my shots that I have taken over the years:
View attachment 766847

View attachment 766848

View attachment 766849

FWIW, I currently am trying to downsize even more, and I have my 10-18 and my 16-55 lenses and the dome that fits both of them up for sale in the Classifieds Section. My plan is to use the kit lens with a Nauticam WWL-C to further reduce the size of my kit. I am also willing to accept the images that I get from this set up.
Stunning shots!

Maybe a little off topic, reading your discussions about the lens would be grateful for some hints on the selection of equipment.
Sony A7R V Camera

They offer the FE 16-35 2.8 GM lens, reading your comments I am thinking about buying this lens.

The set will be used for filming and taking photos with the Nauticam Port 180 mm 18809
of course, the A7 case also with Nauticam

My knowledge of photos ends with auto and button presses.

I will be grateful for advice, it is unlikely that I will develop this equipment with other lenses.
I would not recommend the A7RV for video due to the extensive rolling shutter

Although the WWL-1 and Sony 28-60 is relatively weak when you look at photos for 4K video this is more than sufficient
The 16-35 is a rectilinear lens with the usual issue of blurring at the edges. Perhaps looking at something a bit narrower would help if you are adamant not to have distortion

Thanks for your reply, what can you recommend for video and photo taking.
I will add that A1 is out of the question due to the fact that I am not a professional photographer.

Back
Top Bottom