Sony DSC-W7-Any Strobe Options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SavetheSharks

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

I have a older p & s Sony DSC W7 with the manufacturer (Sony) housing. Is there any way at this point to add a strobe to this setup? It takes ok pictures, but I'd like to go the next step at this point.

Thanks!

You should be able to use any of several slave strobes with this camera/housing. You'll need a tray and arm in addition to the strobe (sometimes you can buy them together as a kit). The strobe will be optically fired by your camera's built in flash. The best method is with a fiberoptic cable mounted in front of the camera flash. You can use black tape to mount the cable and cover the flash so you don't get excessive backscatter caused by the closeness of the built in flash to the lens. The tray generally mounts to the bottom of the housing with a std. 1/4-20 thumb screw, which generally comes with the tray. Make sure it isn't too long and poking into the plastic. If so, you can space it with nylon washers. Make sure the strobe is compatible with the preflash on digital cameras. Most all current models are, but sometimes people pick up older ones because they are a great deal and then find out that the strobe won't synchronize properly because of the preflash that the camera uses for metering.

I have a DSC-W170 (not sure if it is in the same family as the W7), but I have gotten a Sea & Sea strobe (I believe it is a YS-17) and have been happy with it.

Back
Top Bottom