Sony DSC-w1 and Marine Pack Mpk-Wa Need YOUR advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabrandon

Reaction score
All opinions welcome on this!

Here is the deal, I have a Sony DSC-W1 digital camera 5.5mp, now that Sony makes the marine housing for it MPK-WA and has the filters for it, is it cost effective to do it? Now I have NO training in underwater photography ( I soon will though), but I assume I will also need an underwater flash to go with this (know of one???).

I guess my dillema is would it be cheaper to buy a set up that includes everything or just buy the parts for my Sony? What about the quality?

You already have, and are familiar with the Sony. If your camera allows you to have manual control in the housing, I'd get the housing and start there. After you've learned to use your camera/housing underwater you will probably want to invest in an external strobe.

The strobe is likely to cost more than the rest of your rig, so be prepared. You do not need to rush in and buy one - especially if you don't dive often and/or aren't sure uw photo is for you. By learning to use your camera you can get some excellent results without the external strobe. Later, adding it will increase the types of shots and the amount of control you have over them.

Sony is not my personal first choice for an underwater camera system, but there are quite a few Sony users here who will no doubt be able to give you some pointers on getting the most of your camera. Also check out the getting started thread & the Canon Corner (there are quite a few first timer questions in there recently) - regardless of the manufacturer most points hold true.

Well besides feeling like I am able to fly, one of the main reasons I got into diving is so I could take pictures and shoot video so it is important to me to be able to shoot some good pics.
Since I am trying get some info, why do you not like to shoot with Sony?

Back
Top Bottom