Sony DSC-P7/P9 MPK-P9 Housings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wlaurent

Reaction score
After spending a frustrating bit of time trying to find the Sony MPK-P9 (phased out because Sony wants you to buy the DCS-P8/P10 cameras) - I have finally found a source.

Audio Video Centers in California @ 310-451-6200

Just thought I would share in case anyone else is suffering the same frustration.

Cheers

William

Thanx very much. I am looking for the MPK-P9 myself. I ordered the MPK-PHA under the advice of Etronics.com. They told me the P9 would work just fine. Imagine how annoyed I was when the P9 would'nt fit.

--MichaelG

MichaelG once bubbled...
Thanx very much. I am looking for the MPK-P9 myself. I ordered the MPK-PHA under the advice of Etronics.com. They told me the P9 would work just fine. Imagine how annoyed I was when the P9 would'nt fit.

--MichaelG

My Pleasure - I to have an ETRONICS MPK-PHA housing sitting on my desk awaiting an RMA # (hopefully they do not charge me a re-stock fee).

I received the same guidance from ETRONICS and Sony Support. As a matter of fact if you go to Sony's parts ordering website and punch in MPK-P9 it will bring up the MPK-PHA telling you that this is the replacement. I guess ETRONICS can't be completely at fault if the manufacturer can't even figure it out.

- Cheers

William

clive francis once bubbled...
these guys do all the sony cases, and they should post to the US at a reasonable rate (well better than the ridiculous charges i was quoted by a US camera shop to post to the UK!)

cameras underwater

Wow - that $358US. I paid $249 for my MPK-P9 and we used to be able to get them for $199 or less before Sony quit making them.

They have been widely available on eBay in the $155-169 range. I sold a brand new one a couple months ago that I had bought before I changed my mind and went with the Olympus 5050z and PT-015 housing. BTW, I love the rig.

TedJ

wlaurent once bubbled...

My Pleasure - I to have an ETRONICS MPK-PHA housing sitting on my desk awaiting an RMA # (hopefully they do not charge me a re-stock fee).

I received the same guidance from ETRONICS and Sony Support. As a matter of fact if you go to Sony's parts ordering website and punch in MPK-P9 it will bring up the MPK-PHA telling you that this is the replacement. I guess ETRONICS can't be completely at fault if the manufacturer can't even figure it out.

- Cheers

William

More annoying than etronics.com is the fact the the P9 and P8/10 look the same, but they are not the same size. The P9 and P8/10 are about 1/8th of an inch difference in size. With the P9 being just slightly larger, it will not fit the PHA housing.

When the P9 would'nt fit, I opened it up and removed the strap hook on the side thinking that was all that was preventing it from fitting. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that it was just ever so slighlty too big to fit in the housing. Why the F Sony would pull this crap is unbelievable. They could have easily made a one-size-fits-all housing by simply making the housing slightly larger and having little rubber adapters to make the camera snug. Better yet, since all the cameras look identical, they could have made ALL the cameras the same size instead of a few millimeters off.

--Michael G

MichaelG once bubbled...

Imagine my surprise when I discovered that it was just ever so slighlty too big to fit in the housing. Why the F Sony would pull this crap is unbelievable. They could have easily made a one-size-fits-all housing by simply making the housing slightly larger and having little rubber adapters to make the camera snug. Better yet, since all the cameras look identical, they could have made ALL the cameras the same size instead of a few millimeters off.

--Michael G

arr but that is sony for you, plus by making each camera slightly different as you go up in the pixel range you have to buy a new case :D

luckily olympus saw sense when the did the pt010 case and range of cameras.

Looks like I was not the only one to have this problem.

I purchased a DSC-P9 about eight months ago and was rather surprised when I started looking for the housing to find it was listed as unavailable. I emailed Sony's customer services who told me the new MPK-PHA was the replacement for the P9 and "should" fit my camera, but that I should check with my local dealer (I guess Sony's customer services is the equivalent of a Bombay call centre!) - not very reassuring!!

I have however recently purchased a new MPK-P9 off ebay. The seller "quilan" is based in Japan. There are still some available for $215 (US), he accepts payment by credit card and paypal and I received my housing in perfect shape within 4 days of ordering.

Thanx for the tip on the Ebay sale. I already purchased mine. He says it shipped already. I'm heading to Florida this weekend. Had it shipped to mother-in-laws house. Should be there waiting for me when I get there.

--MichaelG

Back
Top Bottom